Bizzare problems with NT DHCP Server

Post by KD » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:44:07

On one of my segments (172.22.0.0 with 255.255.0.0 as the mask) a DHCP
server started randomly assinging a wrong SubnetMask as part of the lease.
We have two DHCP servers on this segment each configured with different
scopes with in the above range.

We took the offending server down, uninstalled dhcp service, reapplied all
the service packs, run it for three weeks with out any DHCP, reinstalled the
service, reapplied the service packs, reconfigured the scope and options
etc. It ran for a while (about 10 days) without any problems.

Last week we started getting the proble agian.  To make things worse, this
time around the other dhcp server started doing the same thing.

 Both servers Compaq Proliant 1600 NT4.0 Server with SP6a. They randomly
give 8bit mask instead of 16 bit mask configured for the server.

If we release and renew on the clients everything is okay. A few hours later
another client will have this proble. This is totally random. I found only
this on mskb which is not of much help "Incorrect Subnet Mask and Options
Assigned from Windows NT 4.0 DHCP Server (Q261489)"

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bizzare problems with NT DHCP Server

Post by Sergio Ricc » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:02:46

Assuming that the clients with the problems obtain/renew the IP address from
the correct server on the correct segment, try manually deleting the DHCP
database (backing it up of course). See
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q173396 about
"Generating a new Database File".

Hope this helps a little.
Serg

Quote:> On one of my segments (172.22.0.0 with 255.255.0.0 as the mask) a DHCP
> server started randomly assinging a wrong SubnetMask as part of the lease.
> We have two DHCP servers on this segment each configured with different
> scopes with in the above range.

> We took the offending server down, uninstalled dhcp service, reapplied all
> the service packs, run it for three weeks with out any DHCP, reinstalled
the
> service, reapplied the service packs, reconfigured the scope and options
> etc. It ran for a while (about 10 days) without any problems.

> Last week we started getting the proble agian.  To make things worse, this
> time around the other dhcp server started doing the same thing.

>  Both servers Compaq Proliant 1600 NT4.0 Server with SP6a. They randomly
> give 8bit mask instead of 16 bit mask configured for the server.

> If we release and renew on the clients everything is okay. A few hours
later
> another client will have this proble. This is totally random. I found only
> this on mskb which is not of much help "Incorrect Subnet Mask and Options
> Assigned from Windows NT 4.0 DHCP Server (Q261489)"

> Any thoughts? Thanks.

1. Windows NT DHCP Server and Win95 DHCP Client

Hello all,

I am using Windows NT as a DHCP server with a range of IP addresses to
issue say 153.20.70.100 to 153.20.70.120. I have a Win95 client with
hardcoded IP address of 153.20.70.100. Also, I have another Win95
client which is configured to obtain an IP address from the network
using DHCP.

I booted up the Windows NT server and the Win95 client with IP address
153.20.70.100 first. Then, I boot up the Win95 DHCP client and got an IP
address of 153.20.70.100 issue from the Windows NT DHCP server. I got
complaint message of duplicate IP address from both Win95s.

Is this a bug in Windows NT as the algorithm is not according to the
RFC 1531(DHCP). The DHCP server is supposed to send an ICMP echo to check
whether anyone using that IP address before issuing out rite?
Any comments or feedback?

2. notebook lockup

3. really trippy bizzare curiousity with NT server on appletalk network

4. Modem not present

5. Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

6. XP and IBM Deskstar

7. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

8. Can someone recommend a sound card?

9. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

10. Problem with DHCP on NT Server 4.0

11. NT 4.0 DHCP server with win95 client problem

12. NT server DHCP loading problem

13. Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server