Windows Explorer automatically loads at start up

Windows Explorer automatically loads at start up

Post by bijan molay » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:50:49

I have a factory installed windows ME, and windows explorer
automatically loads every time windows starts. Anybody
knows what to do so it doesn't load at start up?  It slows
down the start up process.

Windows Explorer automatically loads at start up

Post by Mike » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 04:13:56

Are you perhaps using Norton Internet Security 2001 or Norton Personal Firewall
2001.  Change the settings in the program to not load at startup.  Create an
entry in Start|Programs|Startup to launch the program from there.

There's a timing problem when the Norton products mentioned above are
launched from the registry, causing them to launch explorer windows.

The following link from Symantec's website provides a better description of
the problem and gives a link to a step-by-step fix.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/ddb3f5ca22507b0885256937...
6/026cceacd2e609f78525695f0061c6be?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,startup

[Note the above very long URL will have split on posting - use cut and
paste]
--
Mike Maltby

Quote:> I have a factory installed windows ME, and windows explorer
> automatically loads every time windows starts. Anybody
> knows what to do so it doesn't load at start up?  It slows
> down the start up process.

Windows Explorer automatically loads at start up

Post by Shan » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 00:10:51

I've had that happens on two occassions. First time I unchecked LoadQM in
msconfig and it stopped. Second time - yesterday - I'd moved NVQuickTweak
from AllUsers to Current User and on next boot WE opened. I reversed the
move and it returned to normal.

Shane

Quote:> Are you perhaps using Norton Internet Security 2001 or Norton Personal