Java/VM inop after Critical update

Post by Bret » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:12:28

tried this in other NG's...it was suggested I try in this
NG. I am running Windows ME - The problem is that when I
downloaded the latest critical updates my AV (Norton)
tagged the xmldso.cab as being infected - I had run in to
this before with updates and was going to "ignore" the
notice...However, I inadvertently deleted the xmldso.cab
file. I am not sure if that is the cause of my problem but
now I cannot play Java based games (I usually run out of
POGO or Coffee Break Arcade and when I "Choose" a game all
I get is a blank white screen...help! Thanks to all who
have offered fixes so far however none of them have worked.

Java/VM inop after Critical update

Post by Bret » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:17:11

Sorry wrong NG.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>tried this in other NG's...it was suggested I try in this
>NG. I am running Windows ME - The problem is that when I
>downloaded the latest critical updates my AV (Norton)
>tagged the xmldso.cab as being infected - I had run in to
>this before with updates and was going to "ignore" the
>notice...However, I inadvertently deleted the xmldso.cab
>file. I am not sure if that is the cause of my problem
but
>now I cannot play Java based games (I usually run out of
>POGO or Coffee Break Arcade and when I "Choose" a game
all
>I get is a blank white screen...help! Thanks to all who
>have offered fixes so far however none of them have
worked.
>.

Java/VM inop after Critical update

Post by Bret » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:54:10

Thanks to everyone who offered "fixes" to my problem. I
tried them but to no avail...however I went to the Sun
Java website and downloaded their latest offering and now
I can play my games - yet now some sites that used to load
quite fast are now rather slow - similar to an income tax
refund...lol, Thanks again.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>tried this in other NG's...it was suggested I try in this
>NG. I am running Windows ME - The problem is that when I
>downloaded the latest critical updates my AV (Norton)
>tagged the xmldso.cab as being infected - I had run in to
>this before with updates and was going to "ignore" the
>notice...However, I inadvertently deleted the xmldso.cab
>file. I am not sure if that is the cause of my problem
but
>now I cannot play Java based games (I usually run out of
>POGO or Coffee Break Arcade and when I "Choose" a game
all
>I get is a blank white screen...help! Thanks to all who
>have offered fixes so far however none of them have
worked.
>.

Java/VM inop after Critical update

Post by Jack E Martinell » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:20:47

Where to get the Java VM, i.e., alternate sites for MS Java VM
Ver. 3805, and possibly later  (3809)

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_5.htm#java
http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/win95/fixes/VM/msjavx86.exe
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabp
ool/MSJavx86_CD24D109B33421DB6728FBDC80C9F572EB7A3865.exe
(Download and rename to msjavx86.exe prior to executing)

N.B.  The recent Win Update Critical Update moved the MS Java VM to ver.
3809.

If you have the Sun VM installed, confirm in Internet Options / Advanced
/ Microsoft VM (or Java(Sun))  that the VM you desire is enabled.  You
run one or the other;  MS or Sun.
--
Jack E. Martinelli  / DTS
Help us help you:  http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

Quote:> Thanks to everyone who offered "fixes" to my problem. I
> tried them but to no avail...however I went to the Sun
> Java website and downloaded their latest offering and now
> I can play my games - yet now some sites that used to load
> quite fast are now rather slow - similar to an income tax
> refund...lol, Thanks again.

1. Loaded IE6 Critical Update and VM 816093 Critical Update

I was prompted for these two critical updates on my
computer.  I am currently using Windows ME - Now when I go
into games, they will not load and the help says to make
sure you have Virtual Machine loaded, which it is, and to
check to make sure you have all Java stuff enabled, which
they are.  I was reading about the update for 816093 and I
do not understand what it is actually saying - if this
update has a problem or if it is supposed to fix the
problem - anyway - I have been having problems since I
loaded these two updates.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Mpg's look psychedelic!

3. Critical update Java VM

4. IE6 incompatible with Win98?

5. MS VM vs. Java VM

6. :o IE doesnt support PNG 24???

7. Updating Java VM on XP

8. shut down

9. Need to update Java VM for XP

10. Uninstall Quicktime plug-in for IE6 before updating Java VM on XP Pro?

11. MS Java VM, SP1, and Sun's Java Plug-In

12. Java Applet Can Redirect Browser Traffic - critical update

13. Java does not seem to work since installation latest "critical update" failed