Re getting shared printing to work on HT generally

Re getting shared printing to work on HT generally

Post by Lance Edward » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:39:17

I have found NT workstation to be very unsatisfactory in handling shared
printing but have discovered a few ways to get things working. I read that
NT workstation cannot connect to a shared local printer unless it runs
Netbuei protocol and usually you want tcp/ip for the internet. Again if you
cannect as administrator the printer is fine with your profile - ie you
logged on - but invisible to every one else.

One way round is to install the printer locally on every machine to a
virtual port, eg LPT2 then run a script when each person logs on that
machine to connect lpt2 to the shared printer.
eg: net use lpt2 \\workstationname\printersharename\

Unfortunately if you change printers the old connection seems to be retained
in the locally cached copies of the profiles but you can include the switch
"/persistent: no" with the net use command or include the line "net use lpt2
/delete"  first in the script.  This is fiddly but it seems to work every
time.  The script is located in the All Users\start \programs\start up
folder on each machine.  If you have a small network all printing to the
same printer you could use a log-in script on the server instead.

hope this helps someone, Lydia

1. Getting Print Manager to Work

Can anyone suggest why I can't get Print Manager to work?
I have followed all the procedures in the Windows manual - many times. I have activated printmanager window, set use Print Manager etc.
but it never works with any application - even Notepad!
I had Windows installed on D drive so I tried re-installing on C drive, nothing seems to get it working.
Can anyone please help?

2. Tablet SQL version

3. Print sharing no longer works after xp firewall enabled

4. anybody successful with WinCE 3.0 webserver?

5. Printing to Shared Journal Printer (working!)

6. Link CD-ROM QT Video to Text

7. Dial-up Internet Connection Sharing Conflicting with File and Print Sharing

8. Apache 2.0.38 Install & Config Difficulties

9. Printing from XP Pro to NT4 print share

10. Printing DOS App. in WFW print share

11. Why do print jobs to shared printers often sit there without printing??

12. Printing from NT to a win 95 shared printed

13. NT & WP8 Printing via Print Share