Hard Drive partition as CD-ROM ??

Post by s.. » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a program that will allow you to make a hard drive
partition appear as
a cd-rom to the system. I know you can do this in ms-dos, but can it be
done in NT/95
(NT for preference) ?

Any pointers/references/code samples greatly appreciated.

If possible cc me a copy of your reply.

Many thanks,

Steve

Post by Gary Stanfi » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a program that will allow you to make a hard drive
>partition appear as
>a cd-rom to the system. I know you can do this in ms-dos, but can it be
>done in NT/95
>(NT for preference) ?
>Any pointers/references/code samples greatly appreciated.
>If possible cc me a copy of your reply.

There is a program called "Virtual CD" from Logicraft that does this.
In addition, it compresses the CD ROM data to minimize hard disk space
usage.  The CDs appear as virtual "drives" and can be accessed as if
they were physically mounted in a number of CD ROM drives.  One drive
letter can be added for each compressed CD, or you can "mount" and
"unmount" specific CDs under 1 drive letter.

The compressed CD ROMs appear as very large files under the root
directory of the hard drive (even compressed CD ROMs can easily eat up
450 mb, and the program is "all or nothing" for a given disk).  It
costs around $50

I own the Win 95 version, which worked fine (unlike Win 95 < g >) and
have tried the free 30 day trial version of the NT 4.0 program.  Check
at www.logicraft.com (I believe that they were recently purchased by
Microtest, so the site could have been moved).

This can be a good solution for a reference CD, such as MS Bookshelf.
And it's cheaper than another CD ROM drive, *if* you can spare the
disk space.

Gary

Hard Drive partition as CD-ROM ??

Post by Terr » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

There is a useful utility out there called vitual cd by Logicraft.  It
allows you to make an image of a cdrom on your hard drive and run that
file as if a cd were in the drive.

>Does anyone know of a program that will allow you to make a hard drive
>partition appear as
>a cd-rom to the system. I know you can do this in ms-dos, but can it be
>done in NT/95
>(NT for preference) ?

>Any pointers/references/code samples greatly appreciated.

>If possible cc me a copy of your reply.

>Many thanks,

>Steve

>      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

1. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

Since approx. 1 week I have an extremely irritating
problem with my 2 CD-ROM drives and my DVD-ROM drive
(under Windows XP Professional), although I did not
(myself) change anything on my PC HW or SW installation.

My drives suddenly recognize (official as well as own-
written) data CD-ROMs and (official) DVD-ROMs only once
and only after they have first read an official audio-CD.

When I unload and load the drives with the same data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM (that were perfectly accessible before the
unload), they either do not detect the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
at all, or they recognize them as empty.

When I load an official audio-CD (which is always
correctly recognized and accessible without any problem),
unload it again and replace it with the earlier data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM, the data CD-ROM is again recognized and
accessible (until the next unload). A DVD-ROM on the
other hand causes my PC to reboot, after which it is also
recognized and accessible (until the next unload).

Can this be due to a recent Windows XP Security update (I
have Windows Update set on automatic) or one or other
security setting in Windows XP that I may accidentally
have set?
Can I undo this?

Michel

2. xp doesn't see my printer if off

3. Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

4. time received is senders time sent

5. cd-rom drive and hard drive both share 0 0 location on bus after widows updat

6. removing IE from user

7. Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

8. Inbox to stop asking for Password

9. CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

10. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

11. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore

12. CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

13. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore