The Maximum Size of URL

Post by Amardeep Ver » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:08:42

Hi,
     I have to access a SERVLET and pass data to that servlet. The URL
of the servlet will be something like this

     http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:nnnnn/Servlet?.........

     Here xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP Address of the server, where the
Servlet resides. "nnnnn" is the port number. It will be 50000 or
50000+. After the "?" (Question mark) there will be numerous
"key=value" pairs.

     The length of the URL will exceed 127 characters.

     Also I have to load an Image into the page. The length of the URL
will also exceed 127 Characters.

     The Servlets and the image will have to served to ALL the
browsers in the wild. (pun intended). For this requirement I have the
following Questions

1) Is there a limit to the length of the URL?
2) If yes, than what is it?
3) If the length of the URL CAN EXCEED 127 characters, is it advisable
to do so? If yes, than is there some safety limit beyond which the
length should not be exceeded

Thanks in Advance for your Answers
Amardeep Verma

The Maximum Size of URL

Post by zandlope » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:55:36

> Hi,
>      I have to access a SERVLET and pass data to that servlet. The URL
> of the servlet will be something like this

>      http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:nnnnn/Servlet?.........

>      Here xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP Address of the server, where the
> Servlet resides. "nnnnn" is the port number. It will be 50000 or
> 50000+. After the "?" (Question mark) there will be numerous
> "key=value" pairs.

>      The length of the URL will exceed 127 characters.

>      Also I have to load an Image into the page. The length of the URL
> will also exceed 127 Characters.

>      The Servlets and the image will have to served to ALL the
> browsers in the wild. (pun intended). For this requirement I have the
> following Questions

> 1) Is there a limit to the length of the URL?
> 2) If yes, than what is it?
> 3) If the length of the URL CAN EXCEED 127 characters, is it advisable
> to do so? If yes, than is there some safety limit beyond which the
> length should not be exceeded

> Thanks in Advance for your Answers
> Amardeep Verma

Is this containing the answer?
<http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/limits.html>

The Maximum Size of URL

Post by Ernest Clin » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:06:36

> I have the following Questions

> 1) Is there a limit to the length of the URL?
> 2) If yes, than what is it?
> 3) If the length of the URL CAN EXCEED 127 characters, is it advisable
> to do so? If yes, than is there some safety limit beyond which the
> length should not be exceeded

While different browsers have different implementation limits, there is an
SGML limit of 1024 characters on attribute lengths.  While most browsers
allow one to exceed this limit, depending upon a URL of longer than 1024
characters working is NOT something I would recommend unless you are
prepared for it to possibly not work in some browsers.

The Maximum Size of URL

Post by Lars G. Svensso » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:06:54

[snip]

Quote:

> 1) Is there a limit to the length of the URL? 2) If yes, than what is it?
> 3) If the length of the URL CAN EXCEED 127 characters, is it advisable
> to do so? If yes, than is there some safety limit beyond which the
> length should not be exceeded

Quoted from RFC 2616 (HTTP) Sect. 3.2.1 [0]:
"The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of
a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they
serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they
provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server
SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer
than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).
      Note: Servers ought to be cautious about depending on URI lengths
      above 255 bytes, because some older client or proxy
      implementations might not properly support these lengths."

Zandloper's reply concerning browser issues is probably more limiting...

[0] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

--
Lars

1. HELP with MAXIMUM swap file size and recommended size

        I am using a windows 3.1 and stacker 4.0 together.  I have
decided to create my permanent swapfile on my original hardware,
i.E. the physical drive with the big STACVOL.DSK on it.  this is
my F: drive.  There are about 15meg free on this drive;  when I
triedt to create a permanent swap file on it, the maximum swap size shown
was about 14meg, and recommended size 7 or 8 meg.  since I don't have much
of any thing else on that drive, i set the size of the swap file to 12 meg.
however, the windows told me that "WIndows will not use more than the
recommended swap file size.  Are you sure...." etc.  I did not really
understand this.  I just clicked OK, and restarted windows.  When i checked
"About program Manager" in HELP of program manager, it said about 7meg
of memory free.  So it seemed that the windows really did not use more than
7 meg of the permanent swsap file.  Is there any way to correct this?
any help is appreciated.

                By the way, I have dos 6.21, qemm 7.04, and 4 meg of
ram on a 386 DX40 ...

2. Drag and Drop

3. Maximum URL Length Limitation

4. Modem Connect Pop-up Note

5. Maximum URL length

6. internet explorer 6 doesnt load page right away

7. Maximum URL Length on IE6.0

8. Desktop Icons Disapperance

9. Maximum URL Length ?

10. Maximum URL Length in Netscape

11. What is the maximum buffer size for windows media player 7?

12. Does anyone know the maximum file size MMDirector will accept?

13. maximum raster font size ?