How do you determine a HTTP vs HTTPS request for reverse proxy?

How do you determine a HTTP vs HTTPS request for reverse proxy?

Post by Dan Greenwo » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 07:47:24

I am somewhat green in working with the Apache Server.  Here are the
directives I am using for a reverse proxy implementation.  This will
not work for an HTTPS request.  How can I modify to dynamically work
with HTTP or HTTPS requests?

<VirtualHost 172.20.64.90>
        ServerName www.sam-art.org
        ErrorDocument 502       /error/maintenance.html
        DocumentRoot    "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs/sam-art"
        CustomLog logs/sam-art.access.log common
        ErrorLog logs/sam-art.error.log
        <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
            CacheRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/proxy/sam-art"
            NoCache     *
                Redirect /index.html http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

                ProxyRequests           On

                ProxyPassReverse        /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/
                ProxyPass                       /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

        </IfModule>
</VirtualHost>

Please help...Dan

How do you determine a HTTP vs HTTPS request for reverse proxy?

Post by Marcos » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 02:47:29

I think, if i remember correctly, the problem with https is that you
can't run multiple https servers on a single machine using name based
virtual hosts.  I think this has to do with the way that https works.
It *should* work for http requests.  I think there's something on the
modssl.org website that covers this issue.  I'm not sure if this
answered your question, i'm pretty green on proxies.
--

Quote:> I am somewhat green in working with the Apache Server.  Here are the
> directives I am using for a reverse proxy implementation.  This will
> not work for an HTTPS request.  How can I modify to dynamically work
> with HTTP or HTTPS requests?

> <VirtualHost 172.20.64.90>
>    ServerName www.sam-art.org
>    ErrorDocument 502       /error/maintenance.html
>    DocumentRoot    "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs/sam-art"
>    CustomLog logs/sam-art.access.log common
>    ErrorLog logs/sam-art.error.log
>    <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
>        CacheRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/proxy/sam-art"
>        NoCache     *
>            Redirect /index.html http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

>            ProxyRequests           On

>            ProxyPassReverse        /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/
>            ProxyPass                       /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

>    </IfModule>
> </VirtualHost>

> Please help...Dan

How do you determine a HTTP vs HTTPS request for reverse proxy?

Post by Ala » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:02:14

HUm, try checking if you've loaded mod_ssl, and defined the ports that
apache should listen to (default is only port 80, https usually
connects on 443).
Also you will have to split your virtualhost in a secure and a
non-secure site (can't think of another way of making this work), you
will also have to create certificate-file's using openssl.

What I usually do is have a non-secure site show the first page of a
site and then redirect the next pages to the secure site.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the mod_proxy directive in a virtualhost
directive, what is the intended result of that??

> I think, if i remember correctly, the problem with https is that you
> can't run multiple https servers on a single machine using name based
> virtual hosts.  I think this has to do with the way that https works.
> It *should* work for http requests.  I think there's something on the
> modssl.org website that covers this issue.  I'm not sure if this
> answered your question, i'm pretty green on proxies.
> --

> > I am somewhat green in working with the Apache Server.  Here are the
> > directives I am using for a reverse proxy implementation.  This will
> > not work for an HTTPS request.  How can I modify to dynamically work
> > with HTTP or HTTPS requests?

> > <VirtualHost 172.20.64.90>
> >       ServerName www.sam-art.org
> >       ErrorDocument 502       /error/maintenance.html
> >       DocumentRoot    "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs/sam-art"
> >       CustomLog logs/sam-art.access.log common
> >       ErrorLog logs/sam-art.error.log
> >       <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
> >           CacheRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/proxy/sam-art"
> >           NoCache     *
> >               Redirect /index.html http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

> >               ProxyRequests           On

> >               ProxyPassReverse        /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/
> >               ProxyPass                       /lansaimg/samart        http://usa.samsonite.com/lansaimg/samart/

> >       </IfModule>
> > </VirtualHost>

> > Please help...Dan

1. Apache Reverse proxy to handle https requests

Hi
 I used the following configuration for setting up a reverse proxy to
enable the site http://wwwint.teledata.maxblue.it be accessed.

local host file
10.138.92.73   wwwint.teledata.maxblue.it

the httpd.conf file
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>

SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache dbm:/temp/datafile

SSLLog logs/SSL.log
SSLLogLevel info
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/jens.cert
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/jens.key

NameVirtualHost 10.138.92.73
Listen 443

<VirtualHost 10.138.92.73>

ProxyRequests On
ProxyPass / https://mxbitshow.teledata.de/
ProxyPassReverse / https://mxbitshow.teledata.de/

</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>
# End of proxy directives.

However whenever i try to start my apache reverse proxy the following
error appears - "Illegal attempt to re-initialise server SSL for
server". What is this error? Also how can i set up a reverse proxy for
handling SSL requests?

2. List of Winsock DLL Vendors

3. Web Proxy: no HTTPS proxy unless you enable Allow Anonymous

4. Formatting

5. Acces HTTPS sites only....NO HTTP!

6. HELP... please!

7. HTTP to HTTPS change causes: "Page cannot be found"

8. compiler for alphas ?

9. IE6.0 displays https pages but not http pages

10. http://*?http://* Errors

11. Mixed content (HTTP in HTTPS) Error message

12. I can display secure pages (HTTPS) but not HTTP pages

13. Mixed Content (HTTP in HTTPS) Error