Cloned / Ghosted Workstation Rollout

Post by yan kell » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Excuse the dumb cloning question but,

Our IT department produces  standard "user" pcs comp_A & comp_B using a
cloning program.
Comp_A is connected to network and added to domain. We can see a new account
for comp_A$ in a sam dump. If we swap comp_B for comp_A, comp_B is
recognised as not part of domain. Er why ?

If there's a faq for this do let on.

Yan

Cloned / Ghosted Workstation Rollout

Post by Richard » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hmm...forgive me if I stumble here, its been a while since I messed with NT4 SID:s...

The machine gets a unique SID when installed. Subsequently, all clones have the same Machine SID.
When you make machine A member of a domain, I think the machine gets another (or modified) SID.
Machine B has never been connected, and therefore the domain does not recognize it.

In order to save yourself some trouble, always make sure that the master for the clones is NOT a domain member. Take the trouble to manually add (or use GhostWalker for auto-adding) the clones to the domain, this will save you lots of hours troubleshooting the strangest SID-related problems.

BTW, why on earth would you want to substitute comp_A with comp_B ?

For FAQ:s , see the really good www.ntfaq.com

Hope this helps. And you tech guys/MCSE:s et al, please dont flame/spam/kill me for getting some detail wrong here.... as I said, its been a while.

/Rick

>Excuse the dumb cloning question but,

>Our IT department produces  standard "user" pcs comp_A & comp_B using a
>cloning program.
>Comp_A is connected to network and added to domain. We can see a new account
>for comp_A$ in a sam dump. If we swap comp_B for comp_A, comp_B is
>recognised as not part of domain. Er why ?

>If there's a faq for this do let on.

>Yan

Cloned / Ghosted Workstation Rollout

Post by Jurgen ter Haa » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Every workstion in a domain needs its one unique SID. If you clone a
workstation that is member of a domain you need to change the SID of all
"baby" workstations.

--
Jurgen ter Haar

>Excuse the dumb cloning question but,

>Our IT department produces  standard "user" pcs comp_A & comp_B using a
>cloning program.
>Comp_A is connected to network and added to domain. We can see a new
account
>for comp_A$ in a sam dump. If we swap comp_B for comp_A, comp_B is
>recognised as not part of domain. Er why ?

>If there's a faq for this do let on.

>Yan

Cloned / Ghosted Workstation Rollout

Post by yan kell » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

<snip>
... when joining a Domain ....
<snip>
That sounds about right.
 Checked out the Microsoft site for sid cloning problems.  I agree the ntfaq
is superb, I wish i was organised enough to write one that good. JSi.inc do
one too.

Why CompA compB swap ?   All user files saved onto server profile areas so
no local data worth keeping. The plan was to swap out a dead pc with an off
the shelf spare.

thanks
yan

Cloned / Ghosted Workstation Rollout

Post by Mr Jason C Hil » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

If your using Ghost...
 After the image install run Ghost Walker (ie. before you load WinNT)

Jason

> Every workstion in a domain needs its one unique SID. If you clone a
> workstation that is member of a domain you need to change the SID of all
> "baby" workstations.

> --
> Jurgen ter Haar

> >Excuse the dumb cloning question but,

> >Our IT department produces  standard "user" pcs comp_A & comp_B using a
> >cloning program.
> >Comp_A is connected to network and added to domain. We can see a new
> account
> >for comp_A$ in a sam dump. If we swap comp_B for comp_A, comp_B is
> >recognised as not part of domain. Er why ?

> >If there's a faq for this do let on.

> >Yan

1. Good Cloning Software for Win95 rollout

Hi people,
We are about to upgrade 60-80 machines from Win3.1x to Win95B and I was
wondering if anybody knows of any good cloning software so we don't have
to setup Win95 on each PC.  I have already looked at Ghost (Symantec -
www.ghost.com) but am wondering if there is anything else.  Ghost seems
like a bit of overkill.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.

2. Removing XP Pro

3. Ghost useage in Rollouts

4. Apache-Tomcat

5. NT Workstation Large Scale Rollout

6. Win95 and TCP/IP routing?

7. Workstation rollout

8. Application Installation on an unsealed build

9. what are the tricks to cloning XP with ghost/sysprep?

10. Cloning WinXP Pro with Norton Ghost 2002

11. ghost clone to new HD, now keeps restarting..HELP!

12. Using Symantec GHOST to clone multiple Windows XP with 1 image

13. XP drive cloning using Ghost