Trouble with Several Dial-Ups

Post by .......ice; » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

I have several Dial-up connections installed with different user names
and passwords.

Whenever I use a dial-up other than the main, all passwords on the
others dissapear and the "Remember Password" box turns unchecked.

I am deleting the *.pwl file in Windows and after reboot I can get the
main dial-up to work again. However - the same thing happens again and
again.....I understand that this is connected with some sort of cache -
just how do I get this changed?

Any suggestions?

Trouble with Several Dial-Ups

Post by Tess » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

Make sure in Control Panel--Network--Properties, that you have Client for
Microsoft Networks or the client for NetWare Networks installed.

Tess

Quote:> I have several Dial-up connections installed with different user names
> and passwords.

> Whenever I use a dial-up other than the main, all passwords on the
> others dissapear and the "Remember Password" box turns unchecked.

> I am deleting the *.pwl file in Windows and after reboot I can get the
> main dial-up to work again. However - the same thing happens again and
> again.....I understand that this is connected with some sort of cache -
> just how do I get this changed?

1. Unwanted dial-ups

Problem:
This has only happened over the last few weeks, for no apparent
reason.

On boot up and then hourly my XP/HE installation keeps dialling up and
using any or all of my internet connections in turn in an attempt to
get out.  ZoneAlarm Pro stops any actual communication but not the
dial up happening.  It will do it even when games are being played.

The culprits superficially seem to be Smart Address and a 'Generic
Host Process'.  The extremely helpful (and I don't say this lightly)
tech support at Smart Address has said "There is no dial-capability
built into SA, so something on your system is picking up the TCP/IP
request and creating a dial-up session."  In fact there are something
like a dozen GHP attempts to every one of Smart Address's and so I
tend to think that the real culprit is Windows.

The only thing I've changed recently in order to stop the occasional
boot-up hang whilst there is an apparently fruitless search for my
network connections is that I disabled 'Workstation' - following
advice on this newsgroup.  That seems to have worked but I wonder if
there is something else which also needs to go!

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

2. Outlook Express doesn't run properly

3. Copy Dial-Ups

4. How do I convert MS graphics to UNIX?

5. Internet sharing with dial-ups?

6. Windows XP issues

7. Need to log all my internet dial-ups

8. Creative PCI 128 sound distortion

9. auto dial-ups

10. Profiles and dial-ups

11. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

12. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh