"Programs" on Start button suddenly empty; can't find sysrestore to fix

"Programs" on Start button suddenly empty; can't find sysrestore to fix

Post by Lee Merke » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:48:26

I've been rearranging the Start menu setup, and now I suddenly find
my "Programs" button on Start is empty.
I did set several system restore points during the changing process,
but with "programs" an empty button -- How do I find system restore
to even launch it?
Also, any other possible things I should look at to see what
happened to the lost button? (I got a message on the screen saying
that it pointed to an entry that wasn't there, or something like that).

-- Lee Merkel

"Programs" on Start button suddenly empty; can't find sysrestore to fix

Post by toddkoz » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:21:49

It is typically at something similar to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE.
But you can search for the file and access it wherever it resides.
I don't use SR but I've no recollection of link files saved in System
Restore being mentioned.
If you are optimistic then you may wish to try a search for *.lnk files.
Your folder may have accidentally been moved/renamed when
dragging/dropping cutting/pasting. It is something I keep a separate copy
of so I can restore it manually if something goes wrong when rearranging
it.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

regarding "Programs" on Start button suddenly empty; can't find sysrestore
to fix:
Quote:> I've been rearranging the Start menu setup, and now I suddenly find
> my "Programs" button on Start is empty.
> I did set several system restore points during the changing process,
> but with "programs" an empty button -- How do I find system restore
> to even launch it?
> Also, any other possible things I should look at to see what
> happened to the lost button? (I got a message on the screen saying
> that it pointed to an entry that wasn't there, or something like that).
> -- Lee Merkel

"Programs" on Start button suddenly empty; can't find sysrestore to fix

Post by Noel Pato » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:07:28

Lee - the chances are that you've simply moved the contents to another
location (possibly the Desktop?).
System Restore doesn't (AFAIK) cater for Shortcuts (which all entries in the
Start|Programs menu are - or should be!)
Check in your recycle bin - are the contents there? - if so, just highlight
them, and click File|Restore.
If not
Open a Search - and search for 'Program' - without the quotes (Windows has
probably recreated the default folder name for you)
That should find it for you - you can then drag (or possibly better Copy)
the contents of the folder back to the Startup menu - where it should work
normally.

Good Luck
--
Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote:

> I've been rearranging the Start menu setup, and now I suddenly find
> my "Programs" button on Start is empty.
> I did set several system restore points during the changing process,
> but with "programs" an empty button -- How do I find system restore
> to even launch it?
> Also, any other possible things I should look at to see what
> happened to the lost button? (I got a message on the screen saying
> that it pointed to an entry that wasn't there, or something like that).

> -- Lee Merkel

1. Why this "empty grey button" in Start Bar (Netscape 3.0)??

Hi,

I'm running Win95 and have a lot of 32-bits software installed.
My system have been running very nicely with all these "fancy"
and "big" browsers like IE3.0 and NN3.0 etc.

It still does but, a few weeks, I suddenly got this
annoying 'grey and empty button' displayed on the Start Bar, every
time I loaded Netscape Navigator 3.0. This is the only program
that cause this "button" to appear. As soon as I quit NN, it
disappears when I click it. Again, there is no other program that
'create' this 'button'.

I've restored NN3.0, -ini files and reg-files; the phenomenom is still
there! I do suspect a program I installed, that may have replaced
one vital system file, but it's too late to find out now!

So who can give me a hint about what to replace? I'm sure there
is a simple solution to this "problem" :-)

-Roland

2. UNDELETE NT 4.0 ?

3. Programs Menu "Acts" like it's Empty -- but it's NOT.

4. Arrows???

5. "Change/Remove" button does not display in "Add/Remove" Programs

6. XP' PC as Router, 98' PC as Client???

7. Start button doesn't have "start" on it!

8. unwanted reboots

9. "Start" button says "Unicode Debug"

10. Can't enable the "Sites" button for "Trusted Sites"

11. "Windows XP Style" under Display's "Windows and Buttons"

12. "Agree" "Disagree" buttons don't show on MS LIC window

13. "Find" suddenly doesn't work (IE 6.0, Win2K)