Installing Win 2000 OS and Keeping Win 95 OS

Installing Win 2000 OS and Keeping Win 95 OS

Post by Ligay » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:47:00

Is it possible to install Win 2000 OS and keep Win 95 OS in
the same PC?  I still need Win 95 for old software that
only runs with WIn 95 especially DOS software.  In the
meantime I need Win 2000 for some application software.  I
do not want to buy another PC.

Installing Win 2000 OS and Keeping Win 95 OS

Post by Stalke » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 04:01:39

Yes. A simple way of doing this is to start up Win2k setup
from inside Win95, and selecting the new install option
(Not upgrade). Once in the installation, make sure you
tell setup that you want to keep your existing OS, and
install Win2k on a new partition. Once you've done that,
you'll have a little menu come up every time you
start/restart your computer that allows you to choose
which operating system to boot up with (Win2k is the
default, and will automatically start within about 15
seconds of the menu popping up, if you don't choose
something else).

Hope that helps...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is it possible to install Win 2000 OS and keep Win 95 OS
in
>the same PC?  I still need Win 95 for old software that
>only runs with WIn 95 especially DOS software.  In the
>meantime I need Win 2000 for some application software.  I
>do not want to buy another PC.
>.

Installing Win 2000 OS and Keeping Win 95 OS

Post by James & Julie Field » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:55:07

You an buy another hard drive and do a dual boot..

Quote:> Is it possible to install Win 2000 OS and keep Win 95 OS in
> the same PC?  I still need Win 95 for old software that
> only runs with WIn 95 especially DOS software.  In the
> meantime I need Win 2000 for some application software.  I
> do not want to buy another PC.

1. Dual O.S.? (win 3.11 & win 95)

I currently have win 3.11 loaded as my boot and sole operating system.  It
is loaded on a 420Mb
hard drive.  I have recently installed a S.C.S.I. external 1.3GM hard drive
and am wondering if I can install win 95 on that drive and tehen use
either/or both systems? Any information will sure be appreciated.
Bob Stenger

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?b ****-
 Real Discussions for Real People

2. network errors...

3. newly installed win 2000 os not co-operating with dvd player

4. Help - system.dat file size after removal of IE4

5. Win 3.1 install after 95-OS/2?

6. Which services should be autostarted by XP

7. Networking between 2000 OS and XP OS

8. why can't "WMVideo 9 Encoder DMO" filter

9. XP OS & Windows 2000 OS

10. XP Pro Upgrade Toasted my Win 2000 Development os

11. Touch pad Synaptics / WIN 2000 OS issue

12. Win 2000, XP, or ME good OS for Musician?

13. win 95 osr2 installed over win 95 A