30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Andreas Spie » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
two lines.
Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
with a couple dots .......

Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?
If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
a way to turn it off, somehow?

Thanks a lot in advance for any hint,
 Andy.

--
 Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany

 PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
                                o      _     _         _
  --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
  ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
  ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_

Post by David John Hea » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
: about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
: two lines.
: Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
: with a couple dots .......

I believe that you should get information about the build number and
which service packs are installed.  It'll say whether it's single or
multi processor, and the amount of memory installed.  It'll rattle around
the disk for a short while (30seconds doesn't seem unreasonable) and then
display 6 dots one by one.  I believe this is a representation of the
sections of the OS it is loading.  Once all 6 are present, it them goes
into the graphical screen (and login screen).  Sometimes after the 6 dots
appear, CHKDSK may run.  I'm not sure when or why this happens, but I
believe this to be normal.

: Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?

I've always had it and NT runs fine for me.  :)

: If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
: a way to turn it off, somehow?

I don't think it can be turned off.

Hope that's of some help.

David Hearn

| Any views or opinions given in this message are not necessarily those |
| of the management who are in charge of this being.  Any persons,      |
| places, situations or plants refered to in this message are purely    |
| fictional and any resemblance to real life persons, places,           |
| situations or plants is a real co-incidence - lucky you!  This        |
| message has been brought to you by the letters J and E and the number |
| 2.71828.                                  Thank you and goodnight     |

Post by Yurr Shir » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
> lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

> When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> two lines.
> Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> with a couple dots .......

> Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?
> If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
> a way to turn it off, somehow?

> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint,
>  Andy.

> --
>  Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany

>  PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
>                                 o      _     _         _
>   --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
>   ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
>   ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's pritty normal for nt to take some time to boot. However you can
shorten down that time by placing the network type from autodetect to
network type you'he got (803.3,803.2,tokenring or whatever)
That will cut down the blue screen time in good 25 seconds.
Good Luck.

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Shaun Bresnaha » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

What do you have for hardware?

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Dan » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

If you can edit your boot.ini file, there is a switch: /sos that you can
add to your boot statement. This will show you which drivers are loading
during the process. What you are seeing is normal.

> Hi!

> I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
> lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

> When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> two lines.
> Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> with a couple dots .......

> Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?
> If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
> a way to turn it off, somehow?

> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint,
>  Andy.

> --
>  Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany

>  PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
>                                 o      _     _         _
>   --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
>   ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
>   ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Mark Lyn » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

> Hi!

> I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
> lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

> When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> two lines.

> Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> with a couple dots .......

It's normal. NT is loading device drivers and setting things up so
that it can run. All of my machines take about the same time.

 Mark *                 : My E-Mail address MAY HAVE been spam

 http://www.veryComputer.com/~cps : from my e-mail name in order to reply

Post by David Pip » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> two lines.
> Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> with a couple dots .......

> Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?

Yes it's normal--with some hardware configurations.

Quote:> If this is normal, what's going on during that time?

I have noticed this with the Creative Labs SoundBlaster CD ROM drives
most often.

Quote:>  And is there
> a way to turn it off, somehow?

Yes.  Look for the big red switch   :-)

But you'll have to turn it on again and wait as it boots again.

But seriously folks, any problems would show up in the event log.  Check
there and make sure there are no stop messages in the apps or system log.

--
David Pipe
Bio-Rad Laboratories

http://www.softshell.bio-rad.com
http://www.bio-rad.com

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Andy Spieg » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanks a lot to all of you!  From what I can tell from your many
answers, I guess I have to live with it.

If the system would be telling me/us *what* it is doing, or at
least *that* it's doing something, probably nobody would even
think about it.  But since it just sits there, nothing changes on
the screen (even with /SOS turned on), you hear no disk access, or
anything else, for half a minute, it _does_ make you worry.

Well, thanks again!
 Andy.

--
 Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany

 PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
                                o      _     _         _
  --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
  ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
  ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by DAVID LIMMAG » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I don't have the resource kit myself but am told that the delay is caused by
poor detection algorithm used by MS to detect a SCSI card when there is an IDE
controller in there as well.

I have both and so I experence this delay as well and it's realy not fun.  The
delay for me happens after the blue screen comes on but before the dots even
start.  There isn't any/much HD activity during this time and it just seems to
sit there and timeout on some detection thingy.  (Note it's even worse when the
SCSI fails to start because you're doing something to it and it takes about
3-4min and still doesn't load the SCSI).

Aparently MS is trying to fix this...

> Hi Andy,
> This is very normal and you should not do anything to try to stop it.

> When you see these screens, NT is setting itself up.  i.e. when you
> see the dots, NTLDR is loading the Kernel and hal.dll into memory,
> then loads low level drivers...

> When you see the blue screen specifying memory, processors, etc.,
> drivers & services are being initialized, page file is created,
> subsystems are started....

> If you're interested in more-comprehensive answers, you'd probably
> want to get the NT Workstation Resource Kit (book with CD) and/or the
> MCSE study Guide by Perkins, Strebe, and Chellis.  Both are available
> at many PC stores.

> Austin

> >Hi!

> >I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
> >lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

> >When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> >about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> >two lines.
> >Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> >with a couple dots .......

> >Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?
> >If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
> >a way to turn it off, somehow?

> >Thanks a lot in advance for any hint,
> > Andy.

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Craig L. Senf » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I had a strange Zenith Data System machine that had a EISA bus with an
on-board SCSI controller (Adaptec 7700 I think). for performance reasons we
had installed another Adaptec card and disabled the on-board controller.
This worked when we ran SCO and then when we put WfWG it still worked ok.
When I put NT3.51 on the machine I thought I had a hardware problem.  It
would take 9.5 minutes for the blue screen to start displaying dots!!!  It
was caused by the "extra" scsi controller with 2 channels and nothing on it.
we had disabled it in the EISA config file, but of course, once NT went to
the bluescreen it not longer relied on the Cmos/bios/eisa config.  I only
realized that it was going to work when I went looking for a DOS diskette to
try andrecover the machine, when I returned to my station it was sitting at
the ctl-alt-del prompt.  Once it came up, I was able to go to the scsi
controller applet in control panel and remove the offending controller, then
it would boot normally.
My ultimate solution was to trash the ZDS machine and get something that was
more mainstream.

Post by Wm Jam » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

)>Thanks a lot to all of you!  From what I can tell from your many
)>answers, I guess I have to live with it.
)>
)>If the system would be telling me/us *what* it is doing, or at
)>least *that* it's doing something, probably nobody would even
)>think about it.  But since it just sits there, nothing changes on
)>the screen (even with /SOS turned on), you hear no disk access, or
)>anything else, for half a minute, it _does_ make you worry.
)>
)>Well, thanks again!
)> Andy.

You can add the /SOS switch to the boot.ini file and it will display the
names of all the drivers while it loads them.

This also helps to find bad drivers in case of boot problems.

William R. James

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Brion Keagl » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

This is pretty much normal.  NT always goes through this sequence, but it
shouldn't take excessively long.  Try removing any CDs from your CD ROM
drive - that will help.  Also, I notice that boot time usually speeds up
after installing Service Pack 3.

> Hi!

> I am a complete Windows NT newbie.  I searched through
> lots of newsgroups withouth finding an answer to this:

> When I startup NT I pretty soon see a blue screen with information
> about the amount of RAM and the number of processors in the first
> two lines.
> Then nothing happens for about 30 seconds.  Finally then it continues
> with a couple dots .......

> Is that the normal way or did I misconfigure anything?
> If this is normal, what's going on during that time?  And is there
> a way to turn it off, somehow?

> Thanks a lot in advance for any hint,
>  Andy.

> --
>  Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany

>  PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
>                                 o      _     _         _
>   --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
>   ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
>   ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 seconds wait during boot sequence

Post by Peg11 » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

At that point, the NT kernel loads and then services begin loading. A delay is
normal but shouldn't hang or stay at that point for terribly long.
If you boot to VGA mode, you'll get a more verbose lisiting of the boot
process.

Jeff Noguera

1. 30 second freeze during boot

I've recenly purchased a PCI ATA100 controller with an
CMD649 chipset to support and utilize my ATA100 Hard Disk.
However, since I installed the PCI to IDE controller card
driver, I get a 30-40 second freeze after the WinMe screen
just before geting into the GUI of Windows Me. Is there a
workaround for this?

Thanks.

John.

2. glibc 3.2.x and thread support

3. win98: why 30 second wait screen

4. button in toolbar

5. 30 second Windows boot option

6. please help

7. STOP: 0x000000ED problem during boot sequence!!!

8. Require mouse driver to provide 'mouse gestures'

9. Halt during Boot sequence

10. Problem...Floppy stays on during boot sequence

11. Can network settings be modified during boot sequence?

12. System hangs 30+ sec during startup on desktop

13. CRT is turned off during boot and XP waits infinitely