Floppy death-3.5 floppy drive changed to 5.25 floppy

Floppy death-3.5 floppy drive changed to 5.25 floppy

Post by Gnadzoo » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:53:12

The computer is a 486/66 intel  with 24 mb ram running win 95 , sound
blaster , trident vga, winmodem

One day when it was booted up it went on the fritz, no video, and
horrid sounds coming from the speakers. It seemed as if it was booting
by listening to the computer 'go thru its routine' but no picture.

After trying the standard remove the cards and reseat them routine. I
still could not get a display. After replacing the video card with
another slightly different trident card (old card 9440....new card
9400 i think ..or vice versa), I managed to get the display up.

After troubleshooting other stuff (non system disk error-  it was not
recognizing the hard drive and would not boot)
This was when i realized that the floppy wasn't working right because
I could not boot to a floppy disk either. finally got the bios setup
to 'see' the HD with an auto detect and windows booted up.

The floppy drive doesnt appear to be getting power (no light) but  I
tested the power leads and confirmed that it was getting power to that
point . Then I tried a dif floppy drive that i know works with the
same results ...no powerlight  no sign of any activity to the drive
when booting up the computer. (there is  no listing of an A drive on
that initial information screen that I see when booting up either)

When i opened up windows explorer and tried to access the a drive I
noticed that it was listing as a 5.25 floppy and not a 3.5 floppy
drive.

I went into the device manager(which did show a problem with the
"yellow !"! symbol) and removed the floppy from the system and
rebooted the computer hoping windows would detect and install the
drive..no dice

after manually reinstalling the 'standard floppy device driver' and
running in the circles that the windows conflict troubleshooter sent
me through I am right back where i started. (no conflicts ever did
come up in the details box  even though it was supposedly a conflict
that prompted the launch of the troubleshooter)

The floppy drive shows no signs of life  and its still listing as a
5.25 floppy in the windows explorer

Im stumped.... Its probly something simple but i'll be damned if the
answer is coming to me. I also tried a dif connector cable as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for takin the time to read through to the bitter end :)

Dale

Post by Ari Lukumie » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> The floppy drive shows no signs of life  and its still listing as a
> 5.25 floppy in the windows explorer

Check that the *data* cable of the floppy drive is firmly attached at
both ends. When a floppy drive is accessed, the drive select signal
that activates it comes through this cable. If it's loose (or broken),
the drive will not activate, even though the power cable would be ok.
Some cables use so called cable-select (parts of the cable wires are
"twisted") to differentiate between A: and B: drives. Check that
you're using correct connector, since there's usually also a jumper or
switch on the drive that can make it act as a drive 0 or drive 1.
IIRC, when your drive is jumpered as drive 0, the cable that makes it
A: will be the one with twisted wires. If it's jumpered as drive 1,
the connector without twisted wires will make it A:.

Also check that the drive type is correctly listed in your BIOS setup.
Some BIOSes will have additional settings for floppies. For example,
my BIOS has these: "scan floppy drives" (when enabled, the BIOS will
scan if there are drives at each boot), "report floppy drives to OS"
(the manual for my motherboard says that this must be disabled, if
you're using Win9x) and "swap floppy drives" (swaps the physical
drives so that A: becomes B: and B: becomes A:).

HTH,
        AriL
--
Pain and disappointment are inevitable. Misery is optional.
Homepaged at http://www.angelfire.com/or/lukumies

Floppy death-3.5 floppy drive changed to 5.25 floppy

Post by Phil » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

when you went into the bios to autodetect your harddrive...i just bet you
inadvertantly gave the floppy drive a bad tweak
just check and reset it...i've messed up my floppy settings many
times...most commonly setting the 1.44 k to the 1.2k

Philo

Post by Richard Wintje » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks a lot  Ari and Philo

> It certainly was a bios setting

> I didnt dig deep enough into the bios like I should have....doh!

> It was under the standard cmos settings submenu ...wish I knew how or
> why the bios settings got gomered to begin with.... damn computers

> Dale

Changing BIOS settings can be an indication of a weak battery, or a
virus.

Post by Louis Bybe » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> > Thanks a lot  Ari and Philo

> > It certainly was a bios setting

> > I didnt dig deep enough into the bios like I should have....doh!

> > It was under the standard cmos settings submenu ...wish I knew how or
> > why the bios settings got gomered to begin with.... damn computers

> > Dale

> Changing BIOS settings can be an indication of a weak battery, or a
> virus.

You forgot to include, a helpful child, or roommate.  :-]

Louis

Post by Gnadzoo » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:24:21

Thanks a lot  Ari and Philo

It certainly was a bios setting

I didnt dig deep enough into the bios like I should have....doh!

It was under the standard cmos settings submenu ...wish I knew how or
why the bios settings got gomered to begin with.... damn computers

Dale

1. 5.25-inch 1.2mb floppy drive

I installed a 5.25 high density drive and I can read pre
formatted diskettes but I can not format a blank
diskette. There seems to be a problem with the drive
being able to access track zero. Does any one have an
answer to this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks. damay

2. System32 virus

3. External 5.25 inch floppy drive

4. How stream on my wireless ipaq3630?

5. 5.25 floppy drive

6. MESSAGE

7. 5.25 floppy drive not found

8. Removing XP

9. 360k 5.25" floppy drives

10. Does XP support 1.2MB, 5.25" Floppy drives?

11. 3.5" floppy drive listed as 5.25" by XP on Dell Optiplex

12. 5.25 floppy drives, unlinked hypertext help, etc.

13. floppy drive shown as 5.25 in win98..but is 3.5