Transferring Legacy Documents

Post by Jaso » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:24:48

Can someone tell me if there is a way to transfer some old legacy software
and related documents from some old (very old) workstations to my NT server?
I have about 5 stand alone pc's that have numerous documents that our
company would like to save.  They were originally done with a program called
"Leading Edge" word processor.   I am hoping there is a way to transfer and
convert these files to be viewed in Microsoft Word or Wordpad.

Thanks,
Jason

Post by n.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:26:57

> Can someone tell me if there is a way to transfer some old legacy software
> and related documents from some old (very old) workstations to my NT server?
> I have about 5 stand alone pc's that have numerous documents that our
> company would like to save.  They were originally done with a program called
> "Leading Edge" word processor.   I am hoping there is a way to transfer and
> convert these files to be viewed in Microsoft Word or Wordpad.

> Thanks,
> Jason

You might be able to convert the documents to text files using the
'Leading Edge' word processor, and save them to floppies to be
transferred to the server.

-the small one

Post by Virgil Wal » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:26:20

> Can someone tell me if there is a way to transfer some old legacy software
> and related documents from some old (very old) workstations to my NT server?
> I have about 5 stand alone pc's that have numerous documents that our
> company would like to save.  They were originally done with a program called
> "Leading Edge" word processor.   I am hoping there is a way to transfer and
> convert these files to be viewed in Microsoft Word or Wordpad.

> Thanks,
> Jason

Jason--

If I can help, I've still got a "Leading Edge" computer with all
the SW, including the word processor.  Was about to send the whole
thing to the local land-fill. I think it still works.  It has
5 1/4" drives, and I don't know if they can be read in a modern
PC. My 5 1/4" drive in my Windows machine, went bad saveral
months ago and was replaced with a duplicate 3 1/2" drive.

I never used the Leading Edge WP, 'cause was using WordStar
on an old CP/M machine, and just continued to use it. I have
all the original documentation for it and the disks (I think!)

Virg Wall

         Any sufficiently advanced technology
         is indistinguishable from magic.

               Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

1. James' Documents / My documents / User Documents filling up hard drive :-(

I've been using XP for a couple years so I'm not exactally new.
However I discovered my hard Drive filling up and discovered I have
two folders (James'  Documents and User Documents), which have the
same files as "My Documents".  The files seem to be copied and not
just shortcuts.  So they seem to be taking up three times the space.

I did an experiment where I created a file in "my documents", and it
appeared in the other two folders as well.  Then I deleted it in the
"James' Documents", and it automatically deleted in my documents.

Since I do backups to another drive I don't need this redundancy, yet
I'd still like to be able to access the two drives over my network
from the other computer.

Am I asking too much?  If I want the shared capability over the
network, must I have the second and third copy of the files.  I
suppose I could just move the files to a folder on C-Drive and call it
"Stuff" and have "My Documents" empty.

Can anyone tell me if they have found a solution to this?
The Microsoft Knowlege Base was no help to me at all.

Thanks,
James Harris

2. XP Restarts When ordered to Shut Down

3. Documents, documents and more documents--Which folders do I need?

4. 3rd drive

5. My Documents folder pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\My Documents after cold restart.

6. MS Messanger Video port issue?

7. Documents, documents, documents...

8. Computer Expert, Help!

9. My Documents folder pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\My Documents after cold restart.

10. transfer resume from mail to my documents

11. Transferring documents or folders

12. Can I transfer Windows '98 & 2000 documents to XP?

13. MTU Maximum Transfer Units in regestry for email and file transfers