reformatted a compressed drive/host drive, now what do I do?

reformatted a compressed drive/host drive, now what do I do?

Post by YQ » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

A few months ago, my compressed drive was unmounted caused by
some Win95 registry problems. So I fdisk the drive again, and
reformatted the drive OK. I was even able to reinstall the Win 95 on
it. I did not try to recompress the drive.

But now my system keeps crash. I try to reformat/reinstall the drive,
but each time it failed. I was having this "compressed volume..."
each time when I try to reinstall.

I guess that the first time when I compressed the drive, the Windows
wrote something in the Master boot record/FAT, and reformating
the drive will not erase things there.

What should I do? I am a bit frustrated, and was hoping that I can
avoid buying a new hard drive to reinstall the windows.

Thanks for any help.

--
Yong Qian
TSB, Geography

1. DOS boot mounts my nt4.0 ntfs-formatted drives as dos drive letters ?????

My system :
p166, 2 scsi harddisk = 3,2 gig. NT4.0 + sp1, dual boot dos 6.2/winnt
My problem:
I have just installed a new ibm hd with 2,1 gig, and used the Disk
Administrator to create 1 primary (dos) and 3 logical drives (ntfs)
in the extended partition. No problem. But with a dos boot the ntfs
drives gets mouted as dos drives (with different drive letters) , but
only rubbish are seen with a dir command on them in dos. My scsi cd
works fine, just with a new drive letter.  All drives works fine in
NT4.0 boot.

But now I have 3 mounted drives in dos, but I do not know how to tell
dos, not to mount them, so a dos boot would only mount the real fat
formatted drives and not the ntfs drives. Is this a bug in Disk
Administrator ?? or is there a fix? Maybe in SP2 ??

regards

2. Dell Motherboard SHOT!!! Will dell install disk work???

3. compressed drive shows only host drive

4. FAT or NTFS

5. restarting computer is ms dos, to reformat my c-drive

6. NT console redirection

7. DOS driver (for DOS boot disk) to read NTFS hard drive?

8. Changing "MyDocuments" Folder

9. Running DOS drive compression on shared NT/DOS PC?

10. Copying Win95 to new Hard Drive in true DOS... can it be done?

11. Adding new drive, problems doing XP image copy from orig. drive

12. Mapping a drive from a DOS Workstation to a NT4.0 server drive

13. Reformatting a compressed drive