PPP with Win95 Dial-Up Networking Without Modem?

PPP with Win95 Dial-Up Networking Without Modem?

Post by Ted Haye » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way to establish a PPP connection using Win95 Dial-Up
Networking without a modem?

I have a serial connection to a terminal server which provides PPP/SLIP
service.  Under WFWG 3.11 I was able to establish the direct connection
using Trumpet Winsock.  Under Win95 I can find no way to establish the
PPP connection using Dial-Up Networking.  One must specify a driver for
the Modem and there are no drivers for a "Null-Modem" or
"Direct-Connect" (at least that I can find).  If I try a generic modem,
there is now way to by-pass the dial-connect phase of the process.

The new Trumpet Winsock for Win95 (Beta 4) can be used to establish a
PPP connection, but it is not a full 32 bit application, and I cannot
not get some applications (e.g., Netscape) to work with it.

Any suggestions?

Post by Ted Haye » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a way to establish a PPP connection using Win95 Dial-Up
> Networking without a modem?

> I have a serial connection to a terminal server which provides PPP/SLIP
> service.  Under WFWG 3.11 I was able to establish the direct connection
> using Trumpet Winsock.  Under Win95 I can find no way to establish the
> PPP connection using Dial-Up Networking.  One must specify a driver for
> the Modem and there are no drivers for a "Null-Modem" or
> "Direct-Connect" (at least that I can find).  If I try a generic modem,
> there is now way to by-pass the dial-connect phase of the process.

> The new Trumpet Winsock for Win95 (Beta 4) can be used to establish a
> PPP connection, but it is not a full 32 bit application, and I cannot
> not get some applications (e.g., Netscape) to work with it.

> Any suggestions?

I just discovered the solution last night.  Check out:

    http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/index.html

It provides an .inf file "mdmcdx.inf" which allows you to install a "Direct
Connect" modem.  It works great.  You still have to enter a phone number,
but it isn't dialed; make sure you turn off "wait for dial-tone before
dialing" or you'll get a modem not responding error message.

Ted

--
---
--- Ted Hayes, Simulation Technologies, Inc. (STI), (513) 461-4606

Post by Timothy E. Connoll » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a way to establish a PPP connection using Win95 Dial-Up
> Networking without a modem?

> I have a serial connection to a terminal server which provides PPP/SLIP
> service.  Under WFWG 3.11 I was able to establish the direct connection
> using Trumpet Winsock.  Under Win95 I can find no way to establish the
> PPP connection using Dial-Up Networking.  One must specify a driver for
> the Modem and there are no drivers for a "Null-Modem" or
> "Direct-Connect" (at least that I can find).  If I try a generic modem,
> there is now way to by-pass the dial-connect phase of the process.

> The new Trumpet Winsock for Win95 (Beta 4) can be used to establish a
> PPP connection, but it is not a full 32 bit application, and I cannot
> not get some applications (e.g., Netscape) to work with it.

> Any suggestions?

    Somewhere either on the Win95 disk or the Plus disk there is a 'Direct Connection'
setup.

--  Timothy E. Connolly   Amateur Radio Callsign KB8EHT (since 1988) http://www.arrl.org
--  Vienna Computer Services (304) 482-5720 http://wvnvms.wvnet.edu/~un035256/vcs.html

--  Online resume: http://wvnvms.wvnet.edu/~un035256/resume.html
--  Looking for small programming jobs. JAVA/HTML/CGI, Unix/Linux, C++, Ada, QBASIC, PERL, etc.
--  Local consulting also available, call Vienna Computer Services.

  bus-card3.gif
8K Download

1. PPP connection in Win95 with other than Dial-up Modem ?

I tried to establish PPP connection in my VDM (COM2) with
Windows 95 Dial-up Adapter. but failed!

The problem is that...
I want to use Microsoft Windows 95 Dial-up network with my
VDM(Voice Data Multiplexor) via COM2 port... not Modem.
In my country, there is KT-COLAN. That is used to connect
Internet PPP server. but there is not dialing process.
For example, to connect via terminal emulator, I just invoke
terminal emulator and stroke [Enter] key several times.
then Prompt appeared in my screen as follows.

                        KT-COLAN Service

DESTINATION:

As you feel, this smells like a terminal of Host Computer.

To establish PPP connection in Windows 3.1, I invoke TCPMAN
and, just stroke [Enter] key several times. And ppp command

My problem is that Windows 95 Dial-up Adapter is only for Modem.

Anyone know the way bypassing the dial-process ?
thanks for advance.

2. Notification Area Problems

3. Win 95 Dial-In Networking whiel using Dial-Up Networking (PPP)

4. Outlook Express & Windows Messenger

5. Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking

6. Trying to be Clever

7. Win95 (NetBEUI) network over dial-up PPP

8. Pocket PC application doesn't work in Custom build.

9. WIN95: Dial-up PPP and small network

10. Win95 Gold: SLIP/PPP/TIA Dial-Up Networking

11. Win95: Dial-up networking with null-modem

12. local (non-dial-up) ppp-connection over a null-modem cable using Win95

13. Cable modem/Dial-Up Network & Networking