Suggestions on setting up a webserver?

Post by WaveSa » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

My boss has asked me to get information on setting up an Internet server. This
would only be used to host the company's website and nothing else. Because we
are a branch of a telecommunications industry, dropping fiber into the building
is not a problem. We are trying to get a general idea on what we would need and
how much it would cost to do it right.

Can somebody please give me any information, or point me to the right direction
on where to go, on how to proceed from start to finish?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Suggestions on setting up a webserver?

Post by wr.. » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

There are a lot of choices of how to go about it.  It depends on how much time,
effort, and money your willing to shell out.

This is how my system is set up.  Keep in mind that I'm running Windows 98
(this will work for win95 also)

The biggest cost would be a dedicated computer to be the server.
A 486 at 50 mhz would work, but you could probably find a used Pentium 2-300 for
under $600
You'll need a static IP address, but I think you have that area covered   8)

Next the http server.  My choice is Apache. it's free, open source, and just
about any problem you run into can be addressed here.  Lot's of helpful people
around!

Then you'll want to register your domain name.
That will run you $15  a year... wo-who...

An FTP server-program would be a must. I'm using Serv-U and quite happy with it.
Very flexable-  The registration fee is $40
http://FTPServ-U.deerfield.com/

You might want to run your own mail server too.  This can cost you depending on
your company needs. Check out:
http://mdaemon.deerfield.com/pricing/
I've used MDaemon Pro-unlimited and it's awsome, but WAY out of my pocket book's
reach!
(hmmm- I just noticed thier resellers link...I might have to look into that 8)

If you decide that you might want to have more that one Domain name, you'll want
to get a DNS server-program.  I just shelled out $80 for Simple DNS Plus
http://www.jhsoft.com/
They should change the name to VERY Simple DNS Plus

A helpful link if you would like to see some different choices in servers (mail,
ftp, http, irc etc.,)
http://serverwatch.internet.com/webservers.html

Or,  you could just use one of the many free web page hosting services like
Netscape or bwnow
Free is good.  Plus they have to deal with backing up their system, and
maintainance.

Anyway that's my 47 cents worth.

Maybe someone else will add some more choices for different OS machines.

Walter Rowe

Quote:

>My boss has asked me to get information on setting up an Internet server. This
>would only be used to host the company's website and nothing else. Because we
>are a branch of a telecommunications industry, dropping fiber into the building
>is not a problem. We are trying to get a general idea on what we would need and
>how much it would cost to do it right.

>Can somebody please give me any information, or point me to the right direction
>on where to go, on how to proceed from start to finish?

>Thanks in advance,

>Jeff

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. Unsuccessful installation

3. Free virus protection??

4. Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

5. Problem with Windows XP and NetMeeting 3.1

6. setting currentPosition doesn't work on WebServer

7. Media Encoder Hangs

8. Help in setting up external access to webserver located in private network

9. Setting up a HTTPD Webserver

10. Setting up a HTTP Webserver

11. Set up Win95 as a webserver?

12. would like help setting up webserver