Can Windows NT offer dial-up sco unix-like dial-up services?

Can Windows NT offer dial-up sco unix-like dial-up services?

Post by Michel Forge » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:43:00

Hello,

I need to obtain an answer to the following question.  If you know it,

would be very much appreciated.  I do not read this newsgroup often, so
messages posted here will likely be missed by me.

Can Windows NT act like an SCO UNIX dial-up server in the sense that people
on the network or people who dial-in to the network via a serial connection
can telnet to the Windows NT server and be presented with a simple
command-prompt interface?  We do not want the overhead of a full graphical
interface, but we do want the shell to be running on the server (the client
is essentially a dumb terminal for all intents and purposes).

We currently have Windows NT 3.51 Server -- we can upgrade if necessary.
If Windows NT does not have this feature built-in, is there a third party
product that will do it?  If it is not possible at all, how close can we
get to the functionality we want?

Migrating is a big step, and since we do not want to take that step
blindly, any help would be appreciated.

Post by Jose Guzma » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

<< We currently have Windows NT 3.51 Server -- we can upgrade if
necessary. If Windows NT does not have this feature built-in, is there
a third party product that will do it? >>

 The functionality of a Telnet Server is not included under NT, But do
you have many implementations, on the NT Resource Toolkit there is one,
also at www.opennt.com, Also on the GNU utilities, port to NT, and I'm
sure I forget other implementations.

<<If it is not possible at all, how close can we get to the
functionality we want? >>

 DO not worry, you could get even the functionality of a full Xclient,
using the citrix winframe, see info at www.citirix.com, a bit expensive
for a simple telnet server.

Jose, Sevilla, SPain

Can Windows NT offer dial-up sco unix-like dial-up services?

Post by Jose Guzma » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

<< We currently have Windows NT 3.51 Server -- we can upgrade if
necessary. If Windows NT does not have this feature built-in, is there
a third party product that will do it? >>

 The functionality of a Telnet Server is not included under NT, But do
you have many implementations, on the NT Resource Toolkit there is one,
also at www.opennt.com, Also on the GNU utilities, port to NT, and I'm
sure I forget other implementations.

<<If it is not possible at all, how close can we get to the
functionality we want? >>

 DO not worry, you could get even the functionality of a full Xclient,
using the citrix winframe, see info at www.citirix.com, a bit expensive
for a simple telnet server.

Jose, Sevilla, SPain

1. Network Dial-Up Pops up on Start ups and Reboots

Hi, and thanks for anyone answering this.
Every time I start up my Windows XP, or do a reboot, I get a pop-up window
for my dial-up network ISP.  I don't know if this is an XP related problem
or with my ISP, but I can't find the setting to stop the dial-up pop-up
window to stop appearing on reboots and start-ups.  I looked in my ISP's
properties, no settings there and no problems with connecting to the
Internet.  I looked in my C:/ drive for the start-up programs, but can't
find it there either.  How can I stop the dial-up pop-up window from
appearing every time I do reboots or start-ups after shutdowns?  I do not
have any broadband connections or other "always on" connections, just a
simple dial-up ISP, but I believe this is a Windows problem, not ISP.  Any
suggestions?

--
"Happy Computing"
Charley

2. ASync Sample

3. dial-up pop ups

4. "Microsoft uses AS/400s" - myth?

5. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

6. Apache and Win2000

7. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

8. autostart repllog.exe

9. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

10. The UPS Service has lost contact with the UPS

11. NT UPS monitoring cable pinout for APC UPS?

12. XP Dial-Up to a Win98SE Dial-Up server

13. Migrating from former dial-up service to new broadband service.