Question about removing a computer from XP Active Directory

Question about removing a computer from XP Active Directory

Post by Jim Bought » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:47:39

We have a client who inherited two Windows XP Professional machines
from their old office (a larger facility running Active Directory,
multiple Domain Controllers, etc.).  Their new office has a much simpler
configuration - 3 computers in a workgroup.  One of the two inherited
XP machines was configured to have fairly restrictive local machine
(group?) policies - the local Admin can't run gpedit, Excel gives a VB
registry error when starting up, IE has only one zone, etc.

The good news - we can hook the machine up to the old network and
we do have access to the (network) Administrator password.

The bad news - no one is available at the old office to help out.  I'm
also a bit of a novice Windows Administrator.

Could someone help me out and explain the change(s) I need to make
in Active Directory so our machine doesn't follow the network policies
anymore?  Is it as simple as removing the machine from the domain in
Active Directory?

Thank you in advance.

Jim Boughton

1. No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

I have created a share and published it to the active
directory as spelled out in several help documents.  I am
experiencing a problem with a XP Pro client machine with
Netbios disabled.  The client machine is part of the
Windows 2000 server domain and can log in sucessfully.  In
windows explorer the active directory icon does not show
up when double clicking on the "Entire Network" icon.  I
can do a search and find the shared folder in the active
directory so I believe everything is setup correctly.

Is this normal?  I would have thought that I would have
been able to browse published items to the active directoy
even when Netbios was disabled.

2. qemm excep.#13

3. Active Directory icon removed in XP

4. how do I associate a compiler tool in Visual C++

5. Tool for Active Directory Users and Computers in XP

6. multiple monitors set-up

7. How to remove Active Directory(Child Domain)

8. direct x

9. Unable to rename computer account in Active Directory

10. Managing Active Directory Users and Computers

11. Active Directory Users and Computers

12. MMC snap in for Active Directory Users and Computers