icons problem

Post by Grazze » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 10:18:55

Go to http://billsway.com/ and get IconCache.vbs
Run it and increase your icon cache size.

--
Grazzer
_-Oo_

> my windows me icons are all mixed and screwed up, i have
> tried to finegle with the registry editor as well as
> delete the shellcachedicons from the windows folder and my
> icons are still screwed. for example, in my start menu the
> programs icon is now the imaging programs icon, the run
> icon is the solitare icon, and the the search icon is the
> minesweeper icon, i would like to knaow how to solve this
> anoying problem. if anyone knows, please contact me via

> Kris Wacikowski

icons problem

Post by siljalin » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 17:03:58

>Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Run it and increase your icon cache size.

Hi Grazzer,
We've debated this before, won't some AV scanners flag the script as a virus?

Why not use Jim Eshelman's iconcachefix, here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

I don't mean to be a stickler for details but Jim's fix is tested and works.
Just a thought - I'm sure the *.vbs script accomplishes the same.

Regards,

--
siljaline

-- self-righteous six*-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

icons problem

Post by Grazze » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:44:29

Thanks siljaline. I couldn't seem to find the link, so I used the
alternative.
I'll put it in a safe place this time.  :-)

--
Grazzer
_-Oo_

>> Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> Run it and increase your icon cache size.

> Hi Grazzer,
> We've debated this before, won't some AV scanners flag the script as
> a virus?

> Why not use Jim Eshelman's iconcachefix, here:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I don't mean to be a stickler for details but Jim's fix is tested and
> works. Just a thought - I'm sure the *.vbs script accomplishes the
> same.

> Regards,

> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be
> indistinguishable from -- self-righteous six*-year-olds possessing
> infinite amounts of free time." - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

1. Icon Problem with WfW 3.11--lost/destroyed icons/groups,--any help appreciated--Urgent!!

A person asked me to come and solve the following problem.

They had lost all of their icons and program groups (there were no
ico files in the drive at all and many of the .grp group files read
contents of "0" bytes) in their Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

They had no installation disks for WfW 3.11.  Now, I told them that I
had Windows 3.1 disks and would install Win 3.1 over the existing WfW
3.11 thinking that any of the installed programs would be detected by
the Win 3.1 setup process and icons would be recreated.  This was not
the case.  I have a feeling this was my first mistake.

Instead of refurbishing the program groups which contained "0" bytes,
it replaced them and added a "0" to the group's original name so that
the original "accessories.grp" with a "0" byte file size was left
intact but another group file was also created called
"accessories0.grp" with a normal file size.  This happened to all of
the group files with "0" byte sizes.

After the Win 3.1 setup process ended, most of the groups were
restored but they were empty of icons.

Not even the file manager icon was around (I had to create it
manually) and none of the other standard icons in a fresh installation
of Win 3.1 were built either.  Why?

Now this person is having trouble booting up his system (a 486sx, with
8 megs of RAM)

What do I do to remedy this?

Should I erase the windows directory completely and re-install Windows
3.1 (as he doesn't have the master disks for his original WfW 3.11 and
says he doesn't need a network) afresh and have him reinstall his
windows programs and drivers?

What precautions should I take regarding currently installed drivers,
settings, etc.

I'm very well versed in Windows 3.1 (I thought) but this one has me
baffled.

Will respond to all suggestions/hints.

Please reply by e-mail.

Thanks,

David B.

2. Announcing XML for wxWindows 0.5 (BETA)

3. Icon Problem & Logitech Keyboard Problem

4. write to cd - wizard stops

5. IE 6 History problem + icon problem when loading cd.

6. Locked files

7. Help. Icon problem with IE6

8. Log on problem

9. Icon problem

10. IE 6 icon problem

11. Desktop Icons Problem after IE crash

12. Lock Icon problem! Help

13. IE 6.1 Icon Problem