Strange Ping Result from a dual-homed NT4.0

Strange Ping Result from a dual-homed NT4.0

Post by Humphrey J. Zhan » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

NIC-1:
name: webserver
ip:      199.44.193.2
card:   3c590

NIC-2:
name: faccnet
ip:      192.168.193.1
card:   SMC

Names-to-addresses are resolved correctly by DNS.
But, when I type

         ping webserver

I was told "pinging webserver.flclerks.com [192.168.193.1]", which is
wrong. When I type

         ping faccnet

the system will tell me "pinging faccnet.flclerks.com [192.168.193.1]",
which is correct.

This situation killed the proxy server I designed the NT4.0 to be. In place
of the net 192.168.193.0, an illegal net address was intended to be used,
taking advantage of the proxy. The wrong name-address mapping will offend
the ISP supplied router before the proxy could be set up.

Oh, help me!

1. Strange PING results

Hello,
I am trying to fix this strange problem with our NT servers.
Just for background, we have two offices connected over an ISDN link.
All external traffic gets routed through our main office. We have a
Wins, DHCP and Mail server in each site.
When I ping BDC1 from any other server in our domain I get an address
which looks like it has come from a DNS entry and not our WINS
database, ie FQDN with wrong IP address.
If I ping BDC1 from a workstation or win9x PC it returns the correct
address.
If I ping BDC1 from itself it returns the correct address.
Has anyone seen this before?
AndyR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. XP is a major step backwards! Rant Warning!

3. nt4 sp5 dual-homed

4. je ne suis pas capable de me connecter a votre service je peux recevoir mais jamais envoyer et je ne comprend pas l anglais avez vous des informations en fran?ais svp merci j'adore votre site mes non utilisable

5. Dual homed NT4/SP3

6. How do you view hidden system files?

7. I can't make this NT4 box a dual homed server!!

8. 7.01

9. Can someone pleae explain these ping results?

10. XP, 98, ping results AMMENDED

11. Router, XP, 98 ping results (Steve)

12. Weird ping result

13. ping that give results in hundredths of a ms