SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by scree » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:47:33

This is an updated posting.

  Every time I try to boot Windows 98, it boots twice and
  ends up in safe mode.

I always boot clean - that is, I never just turn of the computer
without going thru the Shut Down Windows routine.  No recent power
outages, and I have an uninterruptable power supply anyway.

I've been thru all sorts of TroubleShooting attempts, with nothing
changing in the least.

Yes - its really safe mode.  It says safe mode at the 4 corners of the
screen and I have to click "OK" on a popup window that tells me
Windows was not able to load, and I'm in safe mode so I "can fix the
problem that keeps Windows from loading properly..."

Less than 24 hours before it started, I downloaded McAfee's latest
dat files and did a scan of my entire hard drive.  All files, all
folders, including .zip files...   No Viruse Found.

The first time the system went into safe mode (and the last time I saw
the system work right) was immediately after (successfully) installing
EZ CD Creator.  After the message saying the program was successfully
installed, it asked for a reboot.  I said OK and BOOM - Safe Mode.
I've rebooted dozens of times since then, attempting different
solutions (well, non-solutions.)

Uninstalling EZ CD Creator didn't change the problem one iota.

During the boot up, BIOS recognizes the CDROM drive, and identifies
it, just like before.  "FOUND CDROM  :  CD-RW  CDX100E"

Under the Windows StartUp screen (I hit "escape" when the windows
graphic is on-screen), there are no error messages.

It happens exactly the same way every time.  I think its attempting to
load Windows drivers, reaches some sort of contradiction, reboots.

Once in Windows Safe Mode, the CD drive is "unavailable" (it doesn't
exist).   Windows Explorer and "My Computer" show 2 floppies (A: and
B: - though I only have one floppy drive) and the C: drive and those
are the only drives shown.

And under Start/Control Panel/  I'm not able to "Install New Hardware"
because the computer is in Safe Mode.

Under Start/Control Panel/System/Device Manager  the "CDROM" and
"CDROM Controllers" drivers appear to be the original drivers that
have always been there. (and they're dated 1998, not new).
Under "Properties" for the CDROM driver,  I find that "Status is not
available when Windows is running in Safe Mode."  Under the "Settings"
tab, TargetID is 0, only "Auto Insert Notification" is checked, and
drive letter assignment is R:        Under the "Driver" tab, clicking
"Update Driver" tells me the current driver is the best driver for the
device...

I don't want to delete these drivers, because I can't "Install New
Hardware" unless I can get out of Safe Mode.

I can't access the modem (I'm using another computer to post this
message) or the Network Neighborhood (my local network - 2 computers).

During the re-boot, when I'm told Windows was unable to load properly,
and I'm given the choices of going into Safe Mode or not, when
attempting choice #1 - Normal - Windows still boots into Safe Mode.
Over and over again.

Using Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information
I find there are "no identified Hardware Conflicts" and there is  "No
CDROM Drive" - but then again, it's in Safe Mode.  I can't get out of
Safe Mode to find out if there WOULD be Hardware Conficts if the
System were in Normal Mode.

Registry Checker finds "No Problems" and after a manual (visual) scan
of all the entries in the Registry, I couldn't find any mention of
Easy CD Creator (or any variation)...

I've reverted to a previous version of my Registry, from the day
before the installation that started all this.  Same problem.

"Dr Watson found nothing obviously unusual."
Dr Watson does show a reference to Adaptec (maker of EZ CD Creator)
under the "Kernel Drivers" tab.   "Adaptec APIX Virtual Device" which
is part of "Adeptec's ASPI Layer"       I have no idea if this is in
any way related to the CDROM drive ???

When I go to the command prompt, instead of trying to load windows, I
do have access to the CDROM.  I have drivers being loaded in the
CONFIG.SYS file and a lh (load high) statement in my AUTOEXEC.BAT
file, and that works.  But not in Windows.

I selectively choose NOT to run the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS files, and
that makes no difference.  In fact, I've renamed both of them, just to
be sure, but still the same problem.

I've also done 14 consecutive reboots, selectively NOT allowing one of
the Windows drivers (a different one each time) to install, all to no
avail.

This is extremely frustrating, and I NEED to get past this.
Can anyone make any suggestions?

All help appreciated.

Screens...

SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by Me » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:57:18

If you have a boot disk there should be regedit on it, I'm not sure if it
works in dos, but if it does have a look in the registry, have a look
around, it is one of the things that loads on start up, the registry. Check
your fonts it could be one of them unlikely but you never know. If you can
get to the first boot menu asking normal safe mode command prompt etc. try
logged, look at the bootlog C:\bootlog.txt with EDIT in dos even if you
cannot get to the boot menu. Try to just turn off the switch do not shut
down, it might work. Look for junk files, C:\*.chk, C:\windows\temp, look at
them in dos with EDIT and\or rename\delete them. Run scandisk and
defragmenter. I guess you do not want to reinstall but it's heading that
way, don't do that just yet, keep trying anything you can think of, do not
do anything too stupid though.
Good Luck.

> [...]
| under the "Kernel Drivers" tab.   "Adaptec APIX Virtual Device" which
| is part of "Adeptec's ASPI Layer"       I have no idea if this is in
| any way related to the CDROM drive ???
|
| When I go to the command prompt, instead of trying to load windows, I
| do have access to the CDROM.  I have drivers being loaded in the
| CONFIG.SYS file and a lh (load high) statement in my AUTOEXEC.BAT
| file, and that works.  But not in Windows.
|
| I selectively choose NOT to run the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS files, and
| that makes no difference.  In fact, I've renamed both of them, just to
| be sure, but still the same problem.
|
| I've also done 14 consecutive reboots, selectively NOT allowing one of
| the Windows drivers (a different one each time) to install, all to no
| avail.
|
| This is extremely frustrating, and I NEED to get past this.

Post by Me » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 08:31:54

I am not responsible for any damage caused, always keep up to date back ups.

| If you have a boot disk there should be regedit on it, I'm not sure if it
| works in dos, but if it does have a look in the registry, have a look
| around, it is one of the things that loads on start up, the registry.
Check
| your fonts it could be one of them unlikely but you never know. If you can
| get to the first boot menu asking normal safe mode command prompt etc. try
| logged, look at the bootlog C:\bootlog.txt with EDIT in dos even if you
| cannot get to the boot menu. Try to just turn off the switch do not shut
| down, it might work. Look for junk files, C:\*.chk, C:\windows\temp, look
at
| them in dos with EDIT and\or rename\delete them. Run scandisk and
| defragmenter. I guess you do not want to reinstall but it's heading that
| way, don't do that just yet, keep trying anything you can think of, do not
| do anything too stupid though.
| Good Luck.
|

| | This is an updated posting.
| |
| |   Every time I try to boot Windows 98, it boots twice and
| |   ends up in safe mode.
| |
| | I always boot clean - that is, I never just turn of the computer
| | without going thru the Shut Down Windows routine.  No recent power
| | outages, and I have an uninterruptable power supply anyway.
| |
| | I've been thru all sorts of TroubleShooting attempts, with nothing
| | changing in the least.
| |
| | Yes - its really safe mode.  It says safe mode at the 4 corners of the
| | screen and I have to click "OK" on a popup window that tells me
| | Windows was not able to load, and I'm in safe mode so I "can fix the
| | problem that keeps Windows from loading properly..."
| |
| | Less than 24 hours before it started, I downloaded McAfee's latest
| | dat files and did a scan of my entire hard drive.  All files, all
| | folders, including .zip files...   No Viruse Found.
| |
| | The first time the system went into safe mode (and the last time I saw
| | the system work right) was immediately after (successfully) installing
| | EZ CD Creator.  After the message saying the program was successfully
| | installed, it asked for a reboot.  I said OK and BOOM - Safe Mode.
| | I've rebooted dozens of times since then, attempting different
| | solutions (well, non-solutions.)
| |
| | Uninstalling EZ CD Creator didn't change the problem one iota.
| |
| | During the boot up, BIOS recognizes the CDROM drive, and identifies
| | it, just like before.  "FOUND CDROM  :  CD-RW  CDX100E"
| |
| | Under the Windows StartUp screen (I hit "escape" when the windows
| | graphic is on-screen), there are no error messages.
| |
| | It happens exactly the same way every time.  I think its attempting to
| | load Windows drivers, reaches some sort of contradiction, reboots.
| |
| | Once in Windows Safe Mode, the CD drive is "unavailable" (it doesn't
| | exist).   Windows Explorer and "My Computer" show 2 floppies (A: and
| | B: - though I only have one floppy drive) and the C: drive and those
| | are the only drives shown.
| |
| | And under Start/Control Panel/  I'm not able to "Install New Hardware"
| | because the computer is in Safe Mode.
| |
| | Under Start/Control Panel/System/Device Manager  the "CDROM" and
| | "CDROM Controllers" drivers appear to be the original drivers that
| | have always been there. (and they're dated 1998, not new).
| | Under "Properties" for the CDROM driver,  I find that "Status is not
| | available when Windows is running in Safe Mode."  Under the "Settings"
| | tab, TargetID is 0, only "Auto Insert Notification" is checked, and
| | drive letter assignment is R:        Under the "Driver" tab, clicking
| | "Update Driver" tells me the current driver is the best driver for the
| | device...
| |
| | I don't want to delete these drivers, because I can't "Install New
| | Hardware" unless I can get out of Safe Mode.
| |
| | I can't access the modem (I'm using another computer to post this
| | message) or the Network Neighborhood (my local network - 2 computers).
| |
| | During the re-boot, when I'm told Windows was unable to load properly,
| | and I'm given the choices of going into Safe Mode or not, when
| | attempting choice #1 - Normal - Windows still boots into Safe Mode.
| | Over and over again.
| |
| | Using Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information
| | I find there are "no identified Hardware Conflicts" and there is  "No
| | CDROM Drive" - but then again, it's in Safe Mode.  I can't get out of
| | Safe Mode to find out if there WOULD be Hardware Conficts if the
| | System were in Normal Mode.
| |
| | Registry Checker finds "No Problems" and after a manual (visual) scan
| | of all the entries in the Registry, I couldn't find any mention of
| | Easy CD Creator (or any variation)...
| |
| | I've reverted to a previous version of my Registry, from the day
| | before the installation that started all this.  Same problem.
| |
| | "Dr Watson found nothing obviously unusual."
| | Dr Watson does show a reference to Adaptec (maker of EZ CD Creator)
| | under the "Kernel Drivers" tab.   "Adaptec APIX Virtual Device" which
| | is part of "Adeptec's ASPI Layer"       I have no idea if this is in
| | any way related to the CDROM drive ???
| |
| | When I go to the command prompt, instead of trying to load windows, I
| | do have access to the CDROM.  I have drivers being loaded in the
| | CONFIG.SYS file and a lh (load high) statement in my AUTOEXEC.BAT
| | file, and that works.  But not in Windows.
| |
| | I selectively choose NOT to run the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS files, and
| | that makes no difference.  In fact, I've renamed both of them, just to
| | be sure, but still the same problem.
| |
| | I've also done 14 consecutive reboots, selectively NOT allowing one of
| | the Windows drivers (a different one each time) to install, all to no
| | avail.
| |
| | This is extremely frustrating, and I NEED to get past this.
| | Can anyone make any suggestions?
| |
| | All help appreciated.
| |
| | Screens...
| |

Post by devilm.. » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:37:18

> [...]

windows, I
> | | do have access to the CDROM.  I have drivers being loaded in the
> | | CONFIG.SYS file and a lh (load high) statement in my AUTOEXEC.BAT
> | | file, and that works.  But not in Windows.
> | |
> | | I selectively choose NOT to run the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS
files, and
> | | that makes no difference.  In fact, I've renamed both of them,
just to
> | | be sure, but still the same problem.
> | |
> | | I've also done 14 consecutive reboots, selectively NOT allowing
one of
> | | the Windows drivers (a different one each time) to install, all
to no
> | | avail.
> | |
> | | This is extremely frustrating, and I NEED to get past this.

Try this:
Go to your MSDOS.SYS file (it's a hidden system file so go to View and
enable viewing hidden and system files, i believe the option is called
Show All Files) ,then change the hidden and read-only in it's
Properties and edit it in any word processor ,find there a line
BootFailSafe=1   or BootSafe=1
and change 1 to 0 (zero).
Also look for C:\Winboot.ini and rename it temporarily ,maybe to
Winboot.OLD or something ,coz it overrides the MSDOS.SYS settings
Let us know if this didn't work. Good luck.
Talli

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by scree » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 14:07:17

Actually, I think you may be on to something with your mention of true
type fonts!

The bootlog.txt file shows that the only failures encountered during
the bootup process is in loading true type fonts.  Over a hundred
"FAILURE CODE IS 0016" messages.

Start/Control Panel/Fonts      shows I have over 400 fonts installed,
including those failing to load.  Many of the fonts failing to load
are "standard" fonts, like Arial.  I'd hate to uninstall and reinstall
over a hundred fonts (actually, way over a hundred)...

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Screens

SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by n.. » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:57:25

Quote:>Any suggestions?

I have no suggestions relative to your fonts strategy but I was
able to stop the recurrent safe mode problem by deleting a
certain file in the windows directory. However, doing so may have
caused other problems, I'm not sure since the problems may well
have preexisted the deletion.

The file is rmm.pdr in c:\windows\system\iosub.sys. You can
rename it. (If it causes other goofy problems, I don't know what
happens if you restore it -- the machine belongs to a
computer-naive friend living 2 hrs away so I only have phone
contact filtered through computer-anxiety.)

A search on deja.com reveals other solutions which I've forgotten
right now but will look up in my notes if you want.

What p*sses me off is all the 'solutions' one finds without a
word of explanation about how they work. I'm not sure what
rmm.pdr is, for instance, and so it's hard to assess potential
risks.

(Heh, I take no responsibility for the consequences of _your_
actions!<g>)

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by Me » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:00:15

Try to move some of the fonts to another folder, create a new folder in
"C:\windows" called "otherfon" try to keep it less than 8 letters long, and
move a selection of fonts, but be careful of which ones you move as some are
vital for windows dialog box titles and little icons in top right. I don't
know what failure code 0016 is. locate the fonts that have this error
message and move these fonts to the other folder. If you move the fonts to a
different folder or delete them than they don't load on start.
You really should not have over 100 fonts if you don't use them, I have 300
and am thinking about moving them to a different folder.
Good Luck
I am not responsible for anything. Keep a full system backup before you
start and keep all fonts backed up somewhere.

| Actually, I think you may be on to something with your mention of true
| type fonts!
|
| The bootlog.txt file shows that the only failures encountered during
| the bootup process is in loading true type fonts.  Over a hundred
| "FAILURE CODE IS 0016" messages.
|
| Start/Control Panel/Fonts      shows I have over 400 fonts installed,
| including those failing to load.  Many of the fonts failing to load
| are "standard" fonts, like Arial.  I'd hate to uninstall and reinstall
| over a hundred fonts (actually, way over a hundred)...
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Thank you for your time and thoughts,
|
| Screens

SAFE MODE SAFE MODE SAFE MODE - HELP

Post by Me » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:07:04

You have turned the computer off by the switch left it for a while and then
turned it back on by the switch, no Ctrl-Alt-Del 's at shutdown.
I am responsible for nothing

| Actually, I think you may be on to something with your mention of true
| type fonts!
|
| The bootlog.txt file shows that the only failures encountered during
| the bootup process is in loading true type fonts.  Over a hundred
| "FAILURE CODE IS 0016" messages.
|
| Start/Control Panel/Fonts      shows I have over 400 fonts installed,
| including those failing to load.  Many of the fonts failing to load
| are "standard" fonts, like Arial.  I'd hate to uninstall and reinstall
| over a hundred fonts (actually, way over a hundred)...
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Thank you for your time and thoughts,
|
| Screens

1. WinME reverts back to Safe Mode w/o being in Safe Mode.

My system is a AMD 1.4Ghz, 512 2100 DDR RAM, 60GB Drive,
ATI Raedon 64DDR, Soundblaster 5.1.  My system was acting
buggy, so eventually, I decided to reformat and reinstall
everything.  So I get most of the drivers and stuff loaded
and I restart my computer.  The next thing I know, all of
the display is set back from 800x600 256 colors to 640x480
16 colors.  It looks like Windows is in Safe Mode, but it
doesn't say Safe Mode anywhere.  I look at the system
properties and most of my hardware has disappeared or
revert back to basic forms. (My display went from Raedon
DDR to Standard PCI Graphics Adapter; my monitor went from
Samsung 955DF to Default Monitor; The Soundblaster stuff
disapeared all together.) IE still had my favorite links
and a history of the sites that I had visited, but Outlook
had lost all of my mail.  So I went ahead and reinstall
all the missing drivers and after I had everything
reinstalled, I restarted and the same thing happened
again.  Anybody know what's going on?

2. Simple CDaoRecordset Question

3. Help stuck in Windows Classic mode after Safe mode

4. floating point question

5. Safe mode not "safe" enough?

6. Favorite tooltips problems in IE 5.5 - Help!

7. Is Safe Mode safe?

8. outlook emails

9. CD-RW and DVD Drives listed as PIO mode in Safe Mode

10. Can't boot in safe mode or recovery mode

11. safe mode colour in normal mode

12. XP can boot up on safe mode, but not in regular mode

13. XP starts fine in normal mode, but locks up in Safe Mode