WIN 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Trumpet PPP to WIN NT RAS PPP

WIN 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Trumpet PPP to WIN NT RAS PPP

Post by Steve Scoggi » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 04:54:47

Several people have asked if you can use the Trumpet PPP to login
to the Windows NT 3.5 RAS using PPP.

Here are the results of my testing:

I ftped the latest Trumpet V2.0A directly from ftp.trumpet.com.au
this morning.  I found it in the /pub/winsock directory.

I was able to login using the Trumpet PPP to a Windows NTAS 3.5 RAS
server using the new Trumpet Version 2.0A.

I setup the NTAS 3.5 for DHCP with a pool of addresses, and then
used the registry editor to set the following parameters under RASMAN.

Under RASMAN PPP parameters

ForceEncryptedData      REG_DWORD       0
ForceEncryptedPassword  REG_DWORD       0

and under TCP/IP service parameters

EnableIPRouting REG_DWORD 1

The Trumpet TCPMAN setup is as follows:

Setup the Trumpet for PPP using bootp (dynamic IP).

For dynamic IP your IP should be set for 0.0.0.0

Set your gateway entry to 0.0.0.0 and let PPP negotiate the proper
gateway IP address.

Be sure and enter valid IPs for you DNS server in the Tcpman setup
dialog.  This will then allow the Trumpet PPP to request an IP address from
the NT RAS PPP using dynamic IP (NT must be properly configured
for DHCP with a pool of available addresses for the RAS PPP
dialup).

I had VJ compression turned on.

Note: You should set the baud rate to 19200 or below if you do not have a 16550
UART for your com port when using an external modem.

Put your NT login name and password in the PAP authentication
dialog.  Enable PAP by clicking on the check box.

You can use the TCPMAN to manually dial the
the NT RAS PPP server.

After you see the Modem Connect in the Tcpman screen
hit Escape to start the PPP authentication process.

If you use the NT RAS Admin you can see the Trumpet connection
is logged in and validated after several seconds.

I was able to use Telnet, Netscape Mosaic client, WS_FTP, and ping.

DNS operation worked fine.

Also FTP transfers had good transfers with no errors.

I was able to Telnet into a UNIX host via the Trumpet to NT RAS PPP.

Note: I did not try the Trumpet SLIP to NTAS RAS and it
probably not work since there is no way to get authenticated.

Steve Scoggins

1. Win 3.11 dialup PPP -> NT RAS - what to use?

I have a client with an NT server set up for PPP via RAS
that's working fine with Win95 dialup networking clients.
I just haven't found anything that works smoothly from Win
3.11 -- Trumpet 3.0c supposedly works, but according to
the message I got from their tech support requires the NT
server to be set to use unencrypted usernames/passwords.
I've also tried Chameleon's dialup PPP package with no luck.

Unless I don't have any choice, I'd rather not mess with
the current working NT/Win95 setup for this lone Win 3.11
PC. What are you using that works? Is there a RAS implementation
for Win 3.11?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions whatsoever.

--
Mark McWiggins

2. error message

3. Win 3.1 > Win 3.11 > WFW 3.11 > Win 95 ?

4. What's up with the CT4760 drivers ?

5. WFWG 3.1+Trumpet winsock vs. WFWG 3.11+32bit TCP/IP

6. Program Menu

7. WFWG 3.11 NETBIOS over PPP Dialup (Trumpet)

8. CD-ROM on the Asus P4PE

9. WIN 3.1 + Netware 3.11 + Trumpet Winsock?

10. WFWg 3.11 using more GDI than Win 3.1

11. RAS and PPP .... Connect to non-RAS PPP???

12. RAS ppp server to non-RAS ppp client

13. *** Windows 3.1 to NT 3.51 RAS-PPP ***