Netscape: Locking down 4.08 vs. 4.61 profiles

Netscape: Locking down 4.08 vs. 4.61 profiles

Post by David Winter » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I admin some teaching clusters, so I need to keep my machines locked down as
much as possible.  I'm doing this on NT 4.0, using NTFS.

With 4.08, I was able to create a pair of profiles and create a shortcut for
each, using the -P"profile_name" CL option.  I'd start Communicator up with
each, set the various options (home pages, whatever), then make sure that
all non-admin users only had Read prives to the
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\ hierarchy.  The students, regardless of the
NT account they were using, would start it up using the two profile-specific
Shortcuts I created, and all was well.

I haven't been able to make this work for 4.5 or 4.61.  When I created the
two profiles and their Shortcuts as admin, all was fine -- so far.  When I
tried using those Shortcuts with other accounts, it threw me into the
profile-creation routine instead of starting up with the referenced profile.

As a workaround, I decided to make up the two needed profiles for each and
every user.  I set the ~\Users dir's privs to Write, and made sure that the
user had Write privs to its home-dir hierarchy (also read-only, as a matter
of course).  I got through the profile creation, but Communicator died.  No
error message, no banner window.  It looked like I got a message window of
some kind, but it vanished immediately.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can
get this to work?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

D.

--

Office: 5215 WeH, x84368                not always translate just right.
                                        It's the thought that counts.

1. Netscape 4.08- Java vs. Java Script

When enabling Java vs. Java Script in the advanced options.

What is actually the different in function?

When the Java and Java Script are enabled, I have a hard time in exiting
and shuting down my computer. It would say waiting for Java Console to
close down or something. Yet it will never close down when I click "wait
exit, or cancel". Anybody have any suggestion as to how I could solve this
problem?

TIA

Bun Mui

2. Can EditView show ~64k text

3. Netscape Communicator 4.5 vs. 4.08

4. AVS Wizard - Download Sites

5. win3./Netscape 2.0 to Win95/Netscape 4.08

6. Finally a fix for the McAfee bug!

7. Java doesn't work in Netscape 4.07/4.61 on PC

8. delay

9. Netscape 4.61 and illeal operation

10. combining messages using Netscape 4.61

11. Rundll32 error after running Netscape 4.61

12. How to set default mail & news in Netscape 4.61?

13. Can't install Netscape 4.61