Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Post by jaco » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:58:14

Any help will be appreceiated.

we got a computer with no software installed.

how do i get the cdrom working so i can use the windows install disk?

we can't find the orginal driver disk that came with the drive and i
couldn't find an example of the proper line to enter into config.sys
and autoexec.bat.

i also looked at other examples and they always seem to have a file
listed that we don't have, like cdrom.sys. all we have is mscdex.exe

other examples include mscdex.sys and
DEVICE=C:\ATAPI_CD.SYS /S:1 /D:MSCD001

thanks alot.

Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Post by Graham » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:54:46

Quote:> Any help will be appreceiated.

> we got a computer with no software installed.

> how do i get the cdrom working so i can use the windows install disk?

> we can't find the orginal driver disk that came with the drive and i
> couldn't find an example of the proper line to enter into config.sys
> and autoexec.bat.

> i also looked at other examples and they always seem to have a file
> listed that we don't have, like cdrom.sys. all we have is mscdex.exe

> other examples include mscdex.sys and
> DEVICE=C:\ATAPI_CD.SYS /S:1 /D:MSCD001

If it is a fairly recent Computer (say two years) then probably your
BIOS has an option where you can change the boot order of drives
so that the CDRom is the first on the list (ahead of C:). That way
you won't  need a start-up floppy disc or the programs that would
live on it.

Change the option back to A:, C: after the install is complete.

HTH
--
Graham W   http://www.gcw.org.uk/ DIY Astro Projects, Graphics Tutorial
WIMBORNE   http://www.wessex-astro-society.freeserve.co.uk/ Wessex

Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Post by Chia Ah Tee, Josep » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 10:00:03

If your cdrom drive is IDE type, then you can boot your computer system
with a win9X
boot disk. Try borrow one from your office or friend. or Go to
www.bootdisk.com

Joseph Chia A.T

Posted At: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:58 PM
Posted To: misc
Conversation: Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is
installed
Subject: Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Post by Chia Ah Tee, Josep » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 18:06:13

If your cdrom drive is IDE type, then you can boot your computer system
with a win9X
boot disk. Try borrow one from your office or friend. or Go to
www.bootdisk.com and it contains the IDE cdrom drivers so your cdrom
will work. Then you can install the windows

Joseph Chia A.T

Post by jaco » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 22:26:25

> > Any help will be appreceiated.

> > we got a computer with no software installed.

> > how do i get the cdrom working so i can use the windows install disk?

> > we can't find the orginal driver disk that came with the drive and i
> > couldn't find an example of the proper line to enter into config.sys
> > and autoexec.bat.

> > i also looked at other examples and they always seem to have a file
> > listed that we don't have, like cdrom.sys. all we have is mscdex.exe

> > other examples include mscdex.sys and
> > DEVICE=C:\ATAPI_CD.SYS /S:1 /D:MSCD001

> If it is a fairly recent Computer (say two years) then probably your
> BIOS has an option where you can change the boot order of drives
> so that the CDRom is the first on the list (ahead of C:). That way
> you won't  need a start-up floppy disc or the programs that would
> live on it.

> Change the option back to A:, C: after the install is complete.

> HTH

I'm checking this out. my friend has the computer in another city so i
have to wait for her to call me back. meanwhile...

i think it's older than two years, but do you mean you don't need
cdrom drivers? i think the cd is scheduled to boot before c: anyway,
but thanks for the idea.

Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

Post by cburg » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 07:52:53

That would only work if he has a bootable CD to work with, which the Win95
and Win98 CDs are not.

Charles

> > Any help will be appreceiated.

> > we got a computer with no software installed.

> > how do i get the cdrom working so i can use the windows install disk?

> > we can't find the orginal driver disk that came with the drive and i
> > couldn't find an example of the proper line to enter into config.sys
> > and autoexec.bat.

> > i also looked at other examples and they always seem to have a file
> > listed that we don't have, like cdrom.sys. all we have is mscdex.exe

> > other examples include mscdex.sys and
> > DEVICE=C:\ATAPI_CD.SYS /S:1 /D:MSCD001

> If it is a fairly recent Computer (say two years) then probably your
> BIOS has an option where you can change the boot order of drives
> so that the CDRom is the first on the list (ahead of C:). That way
> you won't  need a start-up floppy disc or the programs that would
> live on it.

> Change the option back to A:, C: after the install is complete.

> HTH
> --
> Graham W   http://www.gcw.org.uk/ DIY Astro Projects, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE   http://www.wessex-astro-society.freeserve.co.uk/ Wessex
> Dorset UK  Astro Society's Web pages, Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

1. I need to install OS, but I am missing ext. FDD for laptop...need help

I have an old laptop: a "Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT", which has an
internal CD drive, but an external Floppy...problem is: I lost the FDD, and
now I have to reformat and reinstall the OS. Anyone know how I can go about
doing that...won't seem to let me boot from the CD drive, and I don't have a
FDD to either update the BIOS, or to boot from.....I'm stumped!

2. codec hell

3. Old Sony CDROM, need help!

4. Does Quickbooks Pro 2000 run?

5. Using WinNT/98/95, getting rid of old Netware, need help

6. Windows and Button style

7. XP RPC service starting and never starts, nothing else works computer slow help!

8. How would I setup NT2k Server so that I don't need ICS?

9. I am getting errors when i try to start it

10. I am having trouble getting started in safe mode with XP

11. 15 year old needs help system won't start

12. need help getting started

13. need help getting started using vc7