Blue Screen Errors

Post by T. Bert Penne » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Can someone tell me what "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" means?  I have
been getting this error quite frequently lately, and I have not been
able to find a source to explain this (or other) blue screen message(s).

Thanks

Bert

Blue Screen Errors

Post by atlan.. » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:55:53 -0800, "T. Bert Penney"

>Can someone tell me what "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" means?  I have
>been getting this error quite frequently lately, and I have not been
>able to find a source to explain this (or other) blue screen message(s).

        Probably a faulty .DLL file somewhere.  What version of NT are
you running.  I had a bunch appear when I tried running 4.0 even
though 3.51 ran rock solid.

Bob

Post by Paul Wyli » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Can someone tell me what "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" means?  I have
: been getting this error quite frequently lately, and I have not been
: able to find a source to explain this (or other) blue screen message(s).

Most blue screens are caused by bad or flaky hardware.  NT will not
tolerate marginal hardware.

Another possibility is a bad device driver.  NT 3.51 device drivers
couldn't cause blue screens if they were run in ring 3 (video and sound
card drivers fell into this category) but they were slower than they
would have been if they had been run in ring 0 (less protection for the
OS, but much faster performance).  NT 4.0 video and sound drivers run
in ring 0.  This means a buggy device driver can crash the core OS.

In NT 3.51, a bad video driver could only crash the user interface.  Of
course, a workstation with a dead user interface might as well be
crashed.  A server, on the other hand, is another issue.

At any rate, check your hardware.  I used to have numerous blue screens
under NT 3.51 until my no-name motherboard finally went belly-up and I
replaced it with a quality name-brand product.  I don't remember having
a blue screen since I replaced my motherboard, and I ran both betas of
NT 4.0 and now run build 1381 without trouble.

--Paul

Blue Screen Errors

Post by ZionHil » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Can someone tell me what "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" means?  I have
: been getting this error quite frequently lately, and I have not been
: able to find a source to explain this (or other) blue screen
message(s).

Win NT can't share interupts like regular Windows.

I used to get the blue screen of death alot until I discovered that the
Modem
and the Sound card were sharing.

Since I separated them I haven't gotten it at all. It's very important
when
you install NT to map your devices out. You might have interupt sharing
and
not even be aware of it.

Zion "Non Interuptus" Hill

Blue Screen Errors

Post by Jeff Pucke » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>: Can someone tell me what "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" means?  I have
>: been getting this error quite frequently lately, and I have not been
>: able to find a source to explain this (or other) blue screen message(s).

>Most blue screens are caused by bad or flaky hardware.  NT will not
>tolerate marginal hardware.

When I installed NT 4.0 Workstation, I got 4 blue screens
consistently:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
and something else.

I had a memory conflict.  Someone told me it was OK to mix memory
chips of different speeds, but no one told me which bank to put what
in.  I had to go and change memory banks.  My problem was the fastest
memory chip was in the first bank, and the slow memory chip didn't
like it.  NT tests the first memory bank for the speed of the chip so
it can go as fast as possible.  Now, I know.

You may have good hardware, NT just may not like how you put the
hardware together.

Jeff Puckett
http://b63353.student.cwru.edu/

1. Blue Screen Error - Cannot write to C Drive and Screen Saver Freezes

I have recently had to use my system restore pack to wipe
the hard disk clean and re-load windows ME and my
applications.

For no apparent reason I keep getting a BSD saying 'Disk
Write Error: cannot write to C drive'.  It's never come up
when I've been on the computor but always when I've been
away from it.

Also, the screen saver keeps freezing now and again.  When
I press the re-ser button the computer fails to re-boot.
Then I have to turn the computer off and give it a full re-
boot.  It loads OK then.

I have Windows ME with a Pentium 3 and 128 MB RAM.  Hard
disk is 28 GB.  Norton Systemworks 2001 and Personal
Firewall 2001 are loaded together with normal type
programs - MS office 2000, printer s.w. etc etc.

Can any one help!

Thanks

Peter

2. Issues building MSW with mingw gcc3.x

3. VSmon.exe error and OE: 0177:00417285 blue screen errors

4. WHQL NDIS test question.

5. BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN...BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN!

6. Remove dial up connection window

7. compactflash card reader, blue screen errors

8. forward mail rule

9. BLUE SCREEN ERROR

10. wmp blue screen error when i run stream video, or anything streamed

11. Netmeeting's ActiveX gives blue screen error

12. Media Player -- Blue Screen Error

13. Install on Win2000 gives blue screen error