Interface between 16Bit DOS or 32Bit Console App and Win GUI app under Windows NT

Interface between 16Bit DOS or 32Bit Console App and Win GUI app under Windows NT

Post by davi.. » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I would like to find out if anyone of you out there can give me
suggestions on the following application based on Windows NT and DOS
platform.

The application that I have in mind is as follows:

1. A Windows GUI application is running in Windows NT OS.

2. From the Windows application program, it spawns a 16 bit DOS or
Win32 Console process so that the DOS/Console application can be executed.

3. Once the 16 bit DOS or 32 bit Console application is started, there
is a need for some sort of communication taken place with the GUI
application and the dos/console app. The communication can be done by
using a locked shared memory in the NT OS so that both the DOS app and the
Win app can read and write the data in the memory area.

4. At the end of the Win app, the DOS app is required to be closed as
well.

Now the questions are:

1. Is the above application requirement possible to be done
under Windows NT?

2. Is there any functions in MSVC++ that will allow me to start a
DOS/Console application?

3. Is it possible to use shared memory method to communicate between the
16 bit DOS or 32 bit console app and Win GUI app?

Please see if anyone can direct me to the right path to develop such an
application.

The key to this new application is that I would like to use the
Win GUI as a front end for a system control simulator in which the actual
controller software is a 16 bit DOS/32 bit console application.

Please send me an email if anyone of you can help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
David Chui

1. Can 32bit & 16bit apps co-exist in Window 95 ?

I'm having a number of crashes in win95 quite frequently.

Analysis by First Aid and Fix-It showed nothing wrong with my hardw
config., softw comp & mem config. Both programs and the Norton Crash
Guard couldn't even arrest such crashes and I had to re-boot the sys.
I tried changing my edo ram but it didn't help.

My win95 sys comprises of 32bit and 16bit apps, could they be the root
of such crashes ?

Are there any way I can do to eradicate these problems ?

Thanks for yr advice.

2. how to get thumbnails from asf files?

3. MFC and DOS apps - Redirecting console output to an MFC app (Newbie)

4. Problems with accept() using windows sockets..

5. WH_Shell, NTVDM, 16bit App, non-based window App...

6. computer makes ringing sound for unknown reason

7. convert 32bit apps to 16bit

8. reset/reboot

9. Killing a console window created using AllocConsole() in an MFC GUI app

10. Console style app using MFC and Windows GUI

11. running 16bit dos apps in Windows XP

12. How to return to Full Screen DOS app after a Win app pops up

13. Redirecting a console app's stdout to a GUI parent process