Speedstream 1022 Wireless USB Adapter

Post by John Seelige » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:18:51

Computer 1:
CTX SAK266
AMD K6-266/32 MB/Windows 98

Computer 2:
eMachines T1090
Intel Celeron 900/128 MB SDRAM/Windows XP

Installed the drivers and Siemens Speedstream USB Utility.  Put them into
Ad-Hoc.

Both have a green light on the LAN Utility.  On Link Info,  both have N/A on
both Link Quality and Signal Strength.  Earlier, at least on the eMachines,
I initially had it at about 6% on both and moving the adapter around some
made it go up to 13-20% on one or the other.  Then I messed with some
settings on the utility and was forced to reset defaults on both.  I haven't
changed anything since resetting defaults except putting both into Ad Hoc
mode.

Site Survey showed nothing on either computer until I searched.  Now shows:

linksys xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx 100% 6 No
SpeedStream xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx 73% 11 No

The site survey on the CTX has the linksys entry with the same BSSID.

Basically, I guess I have no idea what I am doing as I have never set up a
LAN, let alone a wireless LAN and there was only an online documentation for
it.  No hard copy.

What do I have to do to be able to see the scanner and printer from this PC
on the other and what do I have to do to share files?  Should I use 64-bit
encryption?

Thanks.

Speedstream 1022 Wireless USB Adapter

Post by John Seelige » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:38:49

Quote:> Computer 1:
> CTX SAK266
> AMD K6-266/32 MB/Windows 98

> Computer 2:
> eMachines T1090
> Intel Celeron 900/128 MB SDRAM/Windows XP

> Installed the drivers and Siemens Speedstream USB Utility.  Put them into
> Ad-Hoc.

> Both have a green light on the LAN Utility.  On Link Info,  both have N/A
on
> both Link Quality and Signal Strength.  Earlier, at least on the
eMachines,
> I initially had it at about 6% on both and moving the adapter around some
> made it go up to 13-20% on one or the other.  Then I messed with some
> settings on the utility and was forced to reset defaults on both.  I
haven't
> changed anything since resetting defaults except putting both into Ad Hoc
> mode.

> Site Survey showed nothing on either computer until I searched.  Now
shows:

> linksys xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx 100% 6 No
> SpeedStream xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx 73% 11 No

> The site survey on the CTX has the linksys entry with the same BSSID.

> Basically, I guess I have no idea what I am doing as I have never set up a
> LAN, let alone a wireless LAN and there was only an online documentation
for
> it.  No hard copy.

> What do I have to do to be able to see the scanner and printer from this
PC
> on the other and what do I have to do to share files?  Should I use 64-bit
> encryption?

> Thanks.

Ah, no response yet.  I finally figured out I needed to run Network
Connection Wizard.  Did it on both machines.  The CTX one did well, but only
shows itself in Network Neighborhood (Is there a "My Network Places" on
Windows 98 (not SE)?), but when I run it on the eMachines, it always
crashes.  It freezes up and then wants to send an error report.

Is there any help for this?

TIA

1. Need USB 2.0 drivers to connect my wireless usb adapter - HELP!

I'm in kind of a catch-22 situation here.
I just purchased Win XP PRO and loaded it on a new hard drive.  I also
bought a new cpu, video card, and mobo.  I am trying to install a USB device
(Linksys wireless USB adapter) in order to connect to the internet so that I
can d/l SP1a for XP.

The problem is that Win XP does not have any usb 2.0 support/drivers and MS
tells you to d/l SP1a to get the drivers.  Well....duh.....I would if I
could but I can't as I need the drivers first to get my usb wireless adapter
working and then I can d/l SP1a.

What are my options, if any?

Note: I have another Windows XP machine with SP1 loaded but it only has the
USB 1.1 drivers on it.
Is there a place (any place!) that I can just d/l USB 2.0 drivers for my VIA
chipset (Asus A7V8X-X) motherboard)?  The ASUS web site tells me I gotta get
SP1 in order to get the drivers.

Can I copy the files starting with usb* from my other Win XP machine and
copy them to the SYSTEM32 file to try and install USB drivers (it would only
be the USB 1.1 drivers but maybe that would get me going temporarily)?

Can anyone who has the USB 2.0 drivers loaded tell me what the file names
are?  i.e. USBHUB20.sys, etc..

Thanks for your help.

Walter

2. Lexmark X73 Printer/Scanner/Copier

3. USB Wireless keyboard/mouse quit w/USB ntwk adapter

4. Quantum DLT 4000: Random Errors

5. Processor says..1022 Mhz.....733Mhz

6. How to post if ISP doesn't carry a certain newsgroup?

7. 1022 byte limitation

8. How can I run logonscript silently

9. IE and linksys wireless USB adapter

10. Wireless USB Adaptor

11. USB Wireless NW Adapter

12. Is anyone using a Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model HWU54D)?

13. Auto detect wireless usb adapter and cannot display video mode