Handheld PC dead or alive?

Post by Rout » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:44:17

I do not see any posts regarding Handheld PC like Cassioppia A11 any more.
IS there any new things happening in Handheld PC? With thanks.

Handheld PC dead or alive?

Post by Peter da Sil » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:58:55

> I do not see any posts regarding Handheld PC like Cassioppia A11 any more.
> IS there any new things happening in Handheld PC? With thanks.

There's occasional messages about the more recent models, like the HP 6xx
and 720, but I haven't seen much on the older handhelds or palm-size PCs
unless they're upgradable to HPC2000 or PocketPC (like, say, the Compaq
Aero). There's a NetBSD port to the MIPS-based Casio HPCs, and I seem to
recall that the A1x series are in their target domain.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "Milloin halasit viimeksi suttasi?"

         Disclaimer: WWFD?

Handheld PC dead or alive?

Post by Mick » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:29:11

Quote:> I do not see any posts regarding Handheld PC like Cassioppia A11 any more.

I do not recall seeing any posting on Cassioppia at all - possibly I've
missed them. I guess there are very very few postings on this brand. I have
learn not to buy any units from a supplier/manufacturer who does not support
their product on the web - especially products such as PDAs which people buy
because of mobility. In addition, they (at least myself) wants productivity
tools/software. Thats why Palm has attracted such a large following - there
are a few newsgroups that contains almost 99% postings on Palm. Palm also
did a few things right - they released SDK free to programmers (only WinCE
recently just did that). As far as Cassioppia / Casio is concerned - they
just want to make a buck. They sell it like 4-function calculators.

I was considering buying one when it came out but decided against it. When
the E110 E115 came out, I thought again - but there were NO support at all -
no newsgroups, no Casio sponsored newsgroups, no download sites, etc. -- so
I gave it a miss.

I made a mistake of buying a Psion - SDK is expensive (comparatively) and
there are very few programs (compare to Palm). The unit I bought did not
have Flash Rom so I cannot upgrade the OS. Two months after I bought the
Psion 3a, MS released Win98 and Office 97 - the Psion only supported Win95
and Office 95 - so I couldn't synchronize.

In short to answer your question - yes and no. Yes - certain brands will die
a slow / sudden death - if they do not provide support and have upgradeable
Flash ROMS. Even my friends whop bought the low end version of Palm &
Handspring - (non upgradeable) are regretting it.

Quote:> IS there any new things happening in Handheld PC? With thanks.

I am sure there will be more to come - check out the following VERY
interesting sites:-
 http://www.agendacomputing.com/
http://www.showmelinux.com/112000/feature2.html
 http://www.oski.co.kr/