Special Files Access & Special Directory Access DIFFERENCE!!!!

Special Files Access & Special Directory Access DIFFERENCE!!!!

Post by Chri » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

In setting Directories and Files Access Permission, there is one point
I don't understand :

a ) Is None equal to "No Access" ?

b) What is the meaning of "Execute" permission of a Directory?  If it

    is related to a file, I understand.  But how to execute a
directory?  Could anyone tell me.

Chris

Post by Bryan Zabch » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>In setting Directories and Files Access Permission, there is one point
>I don't understand :
>a ) Is None equal to "No Access" ?

I would assume so.

Quote:>b) What is the meaning of "Execute" permission of a Directory?  If it
>    is related to a file, I understand.  But how to execute a
>directory?  Could anyone tell me.

You can't execute a directory so it only applies to the files within
the directory.

Bryan

1. Setting Special File Access

You need to set the inherited bit in the ACE header, and you need to
apply 2 of them - one with the bit for the inherited file permissions,
and another without for the directory itself.

David LeBlanc           |Why would you want to have your desktop user,

                        |minicomputer-class computing environment?
                        |Scott McNealy

2. Will WMP7 work at this site?

3. Special needs access

4. Multifile-Filter

5. Accessing special folders

6. Can't try again for the expired eval program in win95 ?

7. SmartPhone 2002 - Accessing special characters

8. pc starts and then stops?

9. NT/IIS: how to restrict access for special user ?

10. Registry Key Special Access Permissions

11. special access-control

12. how to block a special ip to access apache server

13. Xcacls, Permissions and IE 4.* special directories don't mix!!