Netscape Navigator 4.08 becomes the usenet news handler!?

Netscape Navigator 4.08 becomes the usenet news handler!?

Post by Forest Wilkins » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Here is some very weird behavior:

Netscape Navigator 4.08 keeps making itself the news handler on my
system.  Every time I run Navigator, the registry settings in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\news] are changed to point to
Navigator.  I use Forte Agent for news reading, and this registry change
is rather annoying.

What causes this?  Navigator doesn't include any news reading features,
and doesn't appear to have relevant settings in the preferences
hierarchy.  I tried removing all the traces of Navigator I could find
(install directory, and registry keys) and reinstalling, but the problem
persists.  I don't know if it's relevant, but this *may* have started
happening around the same time I upgraded Internet Explorer from version
4 to 5, Windows NT from sp4 to sp5, and Visual C++ from sp2 to sp3.

System information:
Windows NT 4.0 service pack 5
Netscape Navigator 4.08, 128 bit
Internet Explorer 5.0

--
The return address in this message has been altered to discourage junk email.

To respond via email, please make the appropriate adjustments.

Post by Alan Edwar » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Here is some very weird behavior:

>Netscape Navigator 4.08 keeps making itself the news handler on my
>system.  Every time I run Navigator, the registry settings in
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\news] are changed to point to
>Navigator.  I use Forte Agent for news reading, and this registry change
>is rather annoying.

>What causes this?  Navigator doesn't include any news reading features,
>and doesn't appear to have relevant settings in the preferences
>hierarchy.  I tried removing all the traces of Navigator I could find
>(install directory, and registry keys) and reinstalling, but the problem
>persists.  I don't know if it's relevant, but this *may* have started
>happening around the same time I upgraded Internet Explorer from version
>4 to 5, Windows NT from sp4 to sp5, and Visual C++ from sp2 to sp3.

>System information:
>Windows NT 4.0 service pack 5
>Netscape Navigator 4.08, 128 bit
>Internet Explorer 5.0

While not offering a solution,(I don't have Navigator 4.08), I am
curious to know why it bothers you. I have used Agent for years and it
has never worried me what application thinks it is the default news
handler. I see it is Outlook Express at the moment with IE5 but it has
been other apps in the past and it has never affected Agent.

...Alan

Netscape Navigator 4.08 becomes the usenet news handler!?

Post by Forest Wilkins » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>While not offering a solution,(I don't have Navigator 4.08), I am
>curious to know why it bothers you.

the news reader that is automatically started.  It bothers me because no
application has any business changing my preferences without my
permission.  It bothers me because a program that takes over news
reading responsibility without any news reading capability is just plain
stupid.  It bothers me because it gives me a reason to dump Netscape in
favor of IE5, which bothers me because I loathe Microsoft.

Wakarimasu?

Forest

--
The return address in this message has been altered to discourage junk email.

To respond via email, please make the appropriate adjustments.

1. Usenet thru Netscape 4.08?

First, you must be using Communicator, not the Standalone version of
Navigator, which has no news client included.

Next - In Edit/Prefs/Mail & Newsgroups/News Server - configure as per your
ISP's instructions.

Last - in the Message Center, right-click the news server you set up in
the second step above, and choose "Subscribe to Newsgroups". Go get a cup
of coffee while the first download of all groups (up to 40,000 of them)
takes place. Don't interrupt this process. This must be done only one
time. When all groups display, place a checkmark in the ones you want to
"subscribe" to. Click OK. Then, back in the Message Center, click the
server name and headers will be downloaded for the groups you've
subscribed to. Double-click one of them to open it and start reading.

--
Dick Smith, Mesa AZ - but it's a dry heat
Netscape UFAQ: http://www.ufaq.org/

Navigator User Group:

2. Talking to a database

3. Netscape Navigator 4.08

4. How to enable/force DMA transfer mode on IDE channel?

5. Netscape navigator 4.08 exits when accessing some URL's

6. Problems after installing Windows Update Q329441

7. System requirements for Netscape Navigator 4.08?

8. Uninstall for NT 4.0 SP3?

9. Posting in Delphi Forum Using Netscape Navigator 4.08

10. Netscape Navigator 4.08 REALLY slow...

11. Netscape Navigator 4.08, Win 3.x, ACDSee

12. using netscape 4.08 navigator with local files

13. Netscape Navigator 4.08 - Hangs