Print to file in Windows 3.1-3.11

Post by Hans Olof Johansso » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I would like to direct the printer output from Windows 3.1-3.11 programs
to a file. If I put a file name in the [ports] section of WIN.INI, I can
link a printer to the file, but every time I print to it, the previous
content of the file is erased. Is there a way to append the output to an
existing file instead of replacing it with a new one?

Print to file in Windows 3.1-3.11

Post by Frank San » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I would like to direct the printer output from Windows 3.1-3.11 programs
> to a file. If I put a file name in the [ports] section of WIN.INI, I can
> link a printer to the file, but every time I print to it, the previous
> content of the file is erased. Is there a way to append the output to an
> existing file instead of replacing it with a new one?

    In control panel / printers  select the printer you want (ie
the printer type the file will eventually be copied to or generic/text
if you just want a text file), and click on connect.  You will
get a menu showing all your ports and "FILE".  Select "FILE" and
close control panel.  When you later select print setup from an
application menu, that printer going to FILE will be one of the
choices.  When you select it, it will give you a choice of file
name.

---

Print to file in Windows 3.1-3.11

Post by Hans Olof Johansso » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>    In control panel / printers  select the printer you want (ie
>the printer type the file will eventually be copied to or generic/text
>if you just want a text file), and click on connect.  You will
>get a menu showing all your ports and "FILE".  Select "FILE" and
>close control panel.  When you later select print setup from an
>application menu, that printer going to FILE will be one of the
>choices.  When you select it, it will give you a choice of file
>name.

>---

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately your solution doesn't address
the problem I was trying to describe. With the method you suggest I still
can't append the output to an existing file. The only difference is that
with the method I described I don't have to name the file every time I
use it. But either way the existing file will be overwritten every time I
direct the print output to it. Unless it works differently in your
Windows configuration?

Hans Olof Johansson

http://www.bahnhof.se/~secutor

1. Win 3.1-3.11 & WFWG FAQ...!!

Please where can I find the latest FAQ for Windows 3.1/3.11 & WFWG thanks...

Also its file name and a list of sites...etc..

Please e-mail me if you can.......

2. Any HELP this way appreciated!!!!!

3. Is there a way to print a Windows 3.1 .HLP file like a manual?

4. AVI files playing inverted

5. Printing to Windows NT Workstation 4.0 from Windows 3.0 & Win 3.1 clients

6. JVC DV- cam as a webcam?

7. Convert old files window 3.1 and 95 word files

8. Message left on server

9. Cannot read files using File Manager in Windows 3.1

10. Win 3.1 and Printing to a file

11. Win 3.1 - Printing temp file *** NEED HELP ***

12. Q: How to print to ascii file in Win 3.1

13. how to print .PS (postscript) files in win 3.1?