Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server

Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server

Post by Adam Chesls » Wed, 15 May 2002 12:45:21

I would like to use the DHCP server builtin to my Linksys Router.
This will enale me to share the broadband cable service with other
networks in my local office.  If some one is using a peer to peer
network, and the DHCP is disabled it will not work on the other
netowrks.  I think my only solution is to disable the dhcp server on
win 2k server and use the router dhcp server.  What do you think?

Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server

Post by Carl Co » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:49:20

Adam;

You should only have one DHCP Server on a network.
If you want your router's DHCP Service running you MUST stop the Win2K DHCP
Server.

However, if your Win2K DHCP Server provides additional information for
configuration (DNS, WINS) of clients then you should not disable it, you
should not use the router's DHCP. Instead, add a NIC to the Win2K Server and
install ISA Server to share the internet connection and have a firewall in
place as well.

HTH,

Carl Cox

Quote:> I would like to use the DHCP server builtin to my Linksys Router.