Access Hotmail via pop/smtp--AOL to come

Access Hotmail via pop/smtp--AOL to come

Post by Paul Marti » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Recently, someone posted a message regarding info on accessing Hotmail via
your Inbox, Outlook, etc. (instead of using the Web-based method.)  The info
is available from http://www.cwebmail.com  It seems they are also promising
AOL access in the future.  There is no info on future cost.  Essentially,
you use POP and SMTP settings to their site and then retrieve the mail from
there.

I must admit, I'm not sure I understand how this works.  Does this give
their computer the "right" to grab your e-mail?  If so, do I really want to
give someone this kind of "permission?"  Anyone with greater e-mail savy
than I want to take a stab at this?

Thanks,
Paul Martin

1. SMTP access time-out via AOL on WinXP Home

An interesting observation regarding using OE to access several
different smtp (port 25) servers while on AOL.

OE 5.5 on Win95B has absolutely no trouble whatsoever sending email to
multiple smtp servers while signed on to AOL 7 but trying to use OE 6 on
WinXP Home while signed on to AOL 7 fails at the point where
authentication is happening. Connection is made but then eventually the
attempt times-out with message:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
'MochaMail', Server: 'mail.mochamail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Other smtp servers include hotpop and xoasis.

Anyone else experienced this? Or know others who have? Any genuine
solution? I've looked in the microsoft database but found nothing
relevant. By the way, I can use OE 6 just fine to send email to smtp
servers while on WinXP with a regular non-AOL dial up ISP.

2. VNC Encription Issue

3. Mail via SMTP/POP - Win95

4. netmeeting

5. Can't open or read attachments sent via hotmail or AOL

6. 95/98 program autostart options

7. upgraded to AOL 7.0, can't access hotmail anymore

8. USB Flash Disk write protected

9. can't access many url's and site via aol but others.....

10. error message/ accessing aol mail via IE

11. cannot access internet via AOL

12. Is accessing AOL or Worldnet via my Casiopeia possible?

13. 0x800CCC35 / accessing hotmail via OE / http