Any info. about 1mbfort?

Post by Demon Won » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

My Pentium PC runs Chinese Windows 3.1.  I cannot execute some Windows
applications even my computer has 16MB RAM.  Then, I executed
1mbfort.exe on my computer and found every program works fine.

Would anyone tell me what's doing inside 1mbfort?  Can I remove it and
retain my Windows applications run smoothly?

Regards,
Martin Yeung.

Any info. about 1mbfort?

Post by Dave Panic » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

--------------6FCC3E0221C9

> My Pentium PC runs Chinese Windows 3.1.  I cannot execute some Windows
> applications even my computer has 16MB RAM.  Then, I executed
> 1mbfort.exe on my computer and found every program works fine.

> Would anyone tell me what's doing inside 1mbfort?  Can I remove it and
> retain my Windows applications run smoothly?

> Regards,
> Martin Yeung.

--------------6FCC3E0221C9

1MBFort (VERSION 1.0)                  Copyright (c) 1995, John McSorley
               First Published in PC Magazine March 29, 1995 (Utilities)

1MBFort by John McSorley

PURPOSE:
         Windows sometimes displays a warning message telling you that
there isnt enough memory to run another program when you have plenty of
memory. This is caused by a lack of low memory, memory below 1MB. 1MBFort
solves this problem by preventing programs from using large blocks of it.
The companion utility View1MB lets you analyze low memory by providing
information about free and allocated blocks.

SETUP:
         To install 1MBFort, just copy 1MBFORT.EXE into a directory
on your hard disk. 1MBFort then can be launched in one of two ways.
You can use Program Manager to create an icon in your Windows Startup
group, or add 1MBFORT.EXE to the Load = line of WIN.INI. The second
method is preferable, since it ensures that 1MBFort is the first
application started.

REMARKS:
         1MBFort operates invisibly, but you can tell it is running
by checking the Windows Task Manager list. Next to the 1MBFort program
name in Task Manager is the number and size of the fragments created.
By default, the fragment size is 10,240 bytes. This usually works fine,
but you can change the fragment size if you have problems launching
programs.

To change the fragment size, use Windows NotePad or another plain text
editor to edit the file called 1MBFORT.INI in your Windows directory.
The block size 1MBFort uses to create the fragments is set using this
format:

                   [1MBFORT]
                   BlockSize = nnnnn

where nnnnn is in the range 5000 to 20000 and indicates the block size
in bytes. If you enter a value below 5000, 1MBFort changes it to 5000.
Likewise, values above 20000 are converted to 20000.

1MBFort can be terminated by selecting it within Task Manager and
pressing the End Task button.
John McSorley is a programmer/analyst for the Information Technology
Group at a major computer manufacturer.
--------------6FCC3E0221C9--

Any info. about 1mbfort?

Post by Greg Lappe » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> My Pentium PC runs Chinese Windows 3.1.  I cannot execute some Windows
> applications even my computer has 16MB RAM.  Then, I executed
> 1mbfort.exe on my computer and found every program works fine.

> Would anyone tell me what's doing inside 1mbfort?  Can I remove it and
> retain my Windows applications run smoothly?

> Regards,
> Martin Yeung.

When you run Windows 3.1 with certain setups, you can end up with the
first 1 MB of your RAM in a fragmented state.  This happens because of
device drivers and stuff.  1mbfort cleans it up and lets your other
programs run.  If you play around with the order your devices load in
config.sys and autoexec.bat you may be able to fix it without 1mbfort.

Greg