best OS for www server and IP server (nt or unix) ?

best OS for www server and IP server (nt or unix) ?

Post by Leroy L. Ladyzhens » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Im going to setup www server and a internet provider service for
the cleveland area.. but what OS should i use i heard good and bad
about unix and windows nt 4.0. So wich one should i consider?

please give your opinions and why you think that way is best..

--

best OS for www server and IP server (nt or unix) ?

Post by James E. Tarvi » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

You already have the answer. Linux will cover a lot of the ground of the
box but NT will get most of the new goodies which everyone seems to crave
(JavaScript, VBScript on the server for example). Most desktops are running
windows so the plumbing will be better worked out in NT. Why not do both?

Quote:

Post by Nick Drag » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Im going to setup www server and a internet provider service for
> the cleveland area.. but what OS should i use i heard good and bad
> about unix and windows nt 4.0. So wich one should i consider?

Speaking as someone who uses solely Unix WWW servers and email system
I'd say the basic quation is:

NT = easier to configure, nowhere nearer the processing power
UNIX = harder to configure, but beats the *out of NT web servers

Plus in Unix's favour, Unix boxes handle errors much better than NT
boxes.

My two cents anyway.

--
Nick Drage, <insert title of your choice here>, Internet Express
Vox: +44 (0)1604-670500  Fax: +44 (0)1604-670567  Car: 0860-469879

1. Which is the best WWW server on Windows and Unix platforms ?

I'm planning to build a Web site under Windows NT or Unix for a non-profit
academical organization.
The choice will depend on several factors, including the price needed to
buy all the development tools, the time needed to learn how to use them,
the ability of the web servers to handle simultaneous access by a
considerable amount of users.
Which are in your opinion the best Web servers avaiable on the
freeware/shareware market, and how do they compare with commercial web
servers ?

                                                                        Roberto Borghesi

2. IE6.0; patches q313675; cookie problems

3. WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW WWW

4. Disabling Windows Logon

5. Best WWW Server for NT 4.0?

6. help

7. Best WWW Server Software for NT

8. remote access from home addition to XP????????

9. what's the best WWW-Server for NT

10. Which NOS is best for me, OS/2 Warp Server or Windows NT?

11. NT or Win95: which is best OS for servers?

12. NT server vs workstation for WWW server

13. Print job UNIX to NT TCP/IP print server.