How to limit access on my network?

Post by - 781 » Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:40:59

I have a WinXP Pro Laptop and WinXP Pro Desktop. Desktop is connected to
MN-500 Router. I have setup the MN-500 with default settings and assigned a
WEP key for wireless access that my Laptop has through WiFi.
Whenever I access either one of these computers throught other computer, I
am able to freely browse the contents of either pcs' hard drives. I have set
to share the D drives of both pc, and by going to the Network Places, and
clicking on the computer's name, I am able to get any files and do whatever
I want with it.
Does this mean that any other user with wireless capability is able to
browse my D drive?
If so, what can I do to at least get a Login dialog box to appear, so I can
be sure that I'm being secure with me accessing the pcs' wirelessly?
Thank you in advance.
Gino

How to limit access on my network?

Post by Chris H » Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:55:56

Not if you're using WEP and changing the key often.  Make sure you're
running the firewall on the MN-700, too.  Keep in mind, any wireless network
could be subject to invasion, but if you take the additional appropriate
steps to block users, like authorizing only access by MAC addresses of your
machines, you should be okay.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

Quote:> I have a WinXP Pro Laptop and WinXP Pro Desktop. Desktop is connected to
> MN-500 Router. I have setup the MN-500 with default settings and assigned
> WEP key for wireless access that my Laptop has through WiFi.
> Whenever I access either one of these computers throught other computer, I
> am able to freely browse the contents of either pcs' hard drives. I have
set
> to share the D drives of both pc, and by going to the Network Places, and
> clicking on the computer's name, I am able to get any files and do
whatever
> I want with it.
> Does this mean that any other user with wireless capability is able to
> browse my D drive?
> If so, what can I do to at least get a Login dialog box to appear, so I
can
> be sure that I'm being secure with me accessing the pcs' wirelessly?
> Thank you in advance.
> Gino

1. Limited access in limited acounts.

G'day Folks!

Some would say I'm chasing a lost cause but I am ever-optimistic.

I'm running XP HE with 1 Admin. acct. & 1 Limited account [for my 4y.o.
nephew].  I have a number of games & educational packages that I want him to
be able to access in his account.  So far, with little or no success.

The most recent package I have installed as per suggestions made in Michael
Solomon's earlier message [copied below **].  Still no success.  When I
attempt to run the package in the boy's acct., I receive an error message
saying that "a required .dll [specified at the time but I don't have it in
front of me] could not be copied to the Windows directory - disk is full"
[disk is nowhere near full].

Three questions:
1.  What, if anything, can I do to possibly resolve this specific issue?
2.  Is it worth persevering with separate accounts? or
3.  Should I cut my losses & buy him an Etch-a-Sketch?

Thanks for anything you may be able to offer [not including wise cracks].
:)

Cheers!
T.  8-)

**  Most applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user
environment.
Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to
whom you wish to grant access.

First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to
administrator and not limited.  Install the applications to the same folder
in which it was originally installed.  This will look the same as one
install on your hard drive but create the pointers necessary for this user
to have access to the application.

Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited
status if that is what you want and the user should still have access.

2. Dial up connection

3. Help needed about memory mapped file size limit on network file access?

4. Combining different video formats

5. Limited access to the network

6. FreewareWeb Online! - 29.Feb.00 - Sample Issue

7. Allow limited access to network for an outsider

8. NTVDM System Error after applying SP 4

9. Limiting access to windows 98 to only part of network.

10. Limit network access speed

11. Limiting access to workstation from network accts.

12. Win 95 machine cant access network..but can be seen and accessed by network

13. problems with Limited Access users accessing the internet