removing IE from user

removing IE from user

Post by Apple » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 18:04:51



Can any one help me please,

I need to stop internet access from a user but still have email access in NT4 workstation through a router.

I still require administrator to have access for updates and virus checking etc.

I am new to NT4 and I know it can be done but don`t know how.

Any help would be good.

Apples

 
 
 

removing IE from user

Post by John Do » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 04:44:30


You could setup a policy so he couldnt use IE or Netscape, but could use
Microsoft Outlook, and get his email that way. or setup a firewall , and
only allow the email providers address...

Quote:> Can any one help me please,

> I need to stop internet access from a user but still have email access in

NT4 workstation through a router.
Quote:

> I still require administrator to have access for updates and virus
checking etc.

> I am new to NT4 and I know it can be done but don`t know how.

> Any help would be good.

> Apples


 
 
 

removing IE from user

Post by Uncle Bull » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:47:06


or delete iexplore.exe from his PC.


> You could setup a policy so he couldnt use IE or Netscape, but could use
> Microsoft Outlook, and get his email that way. or setup a firewall , and
> only allow the email providers address...


> > Can any one help me please,

> > I need to stop internet access from a user but still have email access
in
> NT4 workstation through a router.

> > I still require administrator to have access for updates and virus
> checking etc.

> > I am new to NT4 and I know it can be done but don`t know how.

> > Any help would be good.

> > Apples

 
 
 

removing IE from user

Post by ch.. » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:04:23


On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:47:06 +1100, "Uncle Bully"


>or delete iexplore.exe from his PC.

I'd recommend removing the user's permissions from the IE directory.
That way the user can't simply copy the file back and IE is still
functional for all other users.
 
 
 

removing IE from user

Post by Richard » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:50:25


The user wud still be able to connect to internet thru "custom-installed" Opera, or Mosaic or ancient LYNX browsers that cud care less about admin permissions and do not write 1200 entries to registry :-)

Some (most?) apps these days have a website link in the "About" section. This invokes the system browser, but is it invoked under the users ID or under "SYSTEM" via the app itself (OLE/DDE or whatever crappy function)? Another hole...

Finally, some apps have mini-browsers that launch when u press an Internet link - AutoCad used to have one..I hated that too.

Firewall/router block approach is good if this IE block applies to many users or all users on one machine.

If this is a PARTICULAR user that needs to be blocked, you can always assign him some proxy settings that wont work by forcing him to run a login script that screws his IE settings :-) by running a (unstoppable, see resource kit tools) REG file   --jeez, Im mean tonight.....<klickety-klick> ....and tells him to forget about trying to change them because the registry is NONO, and the tools are NONO .....and while you are at it, tell him that his files were deleted "by mistake" last time he tried to fool around with the system....and finally, tell him that his session is about to end in 30 seconds, and that hed better save his work now, or (by the time the moron reads this far, the shutdown is already in progress) :-)

:-)

Cheers / BOFH


> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:47:06 +1100, "Uncle Bully"

> >or delete iexplore.exe from his PC.

> I'd recommend removing the user's permissions from the IE directory.
> That way the user can't simply copy the file back and IE is still
> functional for all other users.

 
 
 

removing IE from user

Post by ch.. » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:46:58


Quote:>If this is a PARTICULAR user that needs to be blocked, you can always assign
>him some proxy settings that wont work by forcing him to run a login script that'
>screws his IE settings :-) by running a (unstoppable, see resource kit tools)
>REG'>file   --jeez, Im mean tonight.....<klickety-klick> ....and tells him to forget
>about trying to change them because the registry is NONO, and the tools are NONO

I do this for one user's account.  In this case, I took away his
permissions on the key which hold the IE settings in his profile. This
way he can't change the proxy setting, which allows him local web
stuff only.  The policy on his account prevent him from running any
other programs (plus the usual killing reg editting tools, etc)
 
 
 

1. Several Items: User Accounts, IE 6 Search, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Registry

Note: I checked the help and support database for answers to these questiosn
but found no soloutions and checked this group for possible answers but to
no avail. Sorry if I missed an already posted answer.

User Accounts:

    I am trying to create a limited user account, however the system gives
an error message when I try to logon using the new account. I'll have have
to paraphrase, it pretty much says that it is unable to load the profile and
that I have to contact a network administrator possibly, it also indicates
it cannot find the file. I created the account using my system administrator
account and i am at home on my cable modem account which is connected to the
internet via a link sys router, d-link hub, and d-link switch. we have 4 x86
systems connected to the router and 2 sparc stations. However each system
boots it's own OS and operates indenpendantly. Any Suggestions?

IE 6 Search

    I have been unable to find the place where I can adjust or repair the
search function in internet explorer 6, since it no longer conducts a search
when enter a word in the toolbar or web address line. It just sits there and
does nothing! Any suggestions?

Add/Remove Programs

    I have programs that I have removed but still show up in add/remove
programs, this function doesn't seem to remove shortcuts properly. So first,
how do I update that program to not show a program in it that has been
already removed, second is there a better utility that removes all remnants
of a program?

    And sometimes it tells me that a file may used by another program, I
want to only get rid of it if it is really used by another program, which is
annoying because I'm not sure if it is. I don't want it wasting space!! What
should I do?

Registry

Is there a way to tell if the registry is being cleaned up properly, I'm not
even sure how to access it, and am not sure how to make sure it s cleaned up
after I rmeove a program. Is there a way to check and do this?

Sincerely,
Peter Canada
Legal Windows XP User

Pirates! Warning, ignore the following:   :+)
-------------------------------------------

Quote " It's better to pay for software you use, then spend time in prison!"

P.S. Not sure how your gonna be making money in your occupation if your in
prison, seems like the loss is greater then
        the stealing! As to who's gonna know? Well, who's gonna trust you if
they know?

2. Script error line 93 - unable to print from IE6

3. Can I add and remove administrator rights for a user who has only user rights automatically.

4. TAPI issues

5. IE 6 does not allow users to open a unique URL in each open IE Window.

6. replace ment for the AT service

7. removing ie5 when there is no remove option in the remove program tab

8. media player problems, please help

9. programs in add or remove will not remove and cannot locate to remove manually

10. How do I remove already removed items in the add/remove programs?

11. How to remove the programs that cannot be removed by "add/remove program" options

12. w2k: runas command doesn't work with /user:user but work with /user:domain\user

13. Remove desktop shortcut for new users