Simple Question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Simple Question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Arjan Janssen » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have a simple question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
Is it possible to implement system policies on a stand alone workstation?
All documentation I was able to find (using technet) assumes your
workstation is part of a network. I tried to edit the NTCONFIG.POL file on
a standalone workstation, but the changes I made did not work. Is this
because of some problem (by NT or by me) or am I trying to to do something
that just is not possible?

I hope someone can help me....

With kind regards,

Arjan Janssens

Simple Question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Sr. Customer Enginee » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Nope. It is inherently part of the login process that Wks and Svr go
through when authenticating the login. You can change the permissions on
the directories under profiles so that no one can change the desktop or add
program groups.

> I have a simple question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
> Is it possible to implement system policies on a stand alone workstation?
> All documentation I was able to find (using technet) assumes your
> workstation is part of a network. I tried to edit the NTCONFIG.POL file
on
> a standalone workstation, but the changes I made did not work. Is this
> because of some problem (by NT or by me) or am I trying to to do
something
> that just is not possible?

> I hope someone can help me....

> With kind regards,

> Arjan Janssens

Simple Question about Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Jorge Agui » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On 15 Oct 1997 10:14:29 GMT, "Arjan Janssens"

Select File->Open Registry in the policy editor, and it'll edit the
local registry instead of a policy file. That should do the trick.

Jorge Aguiar