Serial Comm and Win95 -- What am I a mind reader?

Serial Comm and Win95 -- What am I a mind reader?

Post by Chito Lapen » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know which object libraries are to be included to run the
serial communication functions in win32s under Visual C++ Ver 4.0?
I included <winbase.h> as per the documentation but for one thing it
seems that somehwere along the line, NOCOMM is defined and the only
way to override this is to modify the include file or to surgically
remove the comm prototypes (#undef NOCOMM doesn't help).

THEN EVEN when you do that it won't link because noone wants to tell us
what libraries are supposed to be linked to run serial comm. This whole
thing seems to have been eschewed from the documentation as if things
like device control didn't matter.

Any help would be appreciated. OR maybe an angry mob at the door
Microsoft's documentation dept.

Please reply by mail and post.

-chito lapena

[...]

Post by Chris Marriot » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know which object libraries are to be included to run the
>serial communication functions in win32s under Visual C++ Ver 4.0?
>I included <winbase.h> as per the documentation but for one thing it
>seems that somehwere along the line, NOCOMM is defined and the only
>way to override this is to modify the include file or to surgically
>remove the comm prototypes (#undef NOCOMM doesn't help).

>THEN EVEN when you do that it won't link because noone wants to tell us
>what libraries are supposed to be linked to run serial comm. This whole
>thing seems to have been eschewed from the documentation as if things
>like device control didn't matter.

You can't use Win32 serial comms functions under Win32s. You need to use
the Win32s "Universal thunk" mechanism and call the Win16 equivalents
(OpenComm, ReadComm, WriteComm, CloseComm).

Chris

 Chris Marriott, Warrington, UK      | Author of SkyMap v3 award-winning

            For full info, see http://www.execpc.com/~skymap
      Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

1. WIN95: Can System Monitor monitor serial comm?

I use a v.34+ internal modem to my PPP account.  I want to do
some "tweaking" using the graphical interface of System Monitor.
There doesn't appear to be anything useful under Edit|Add other
than stuff for MSN (which doesn't work when not on MSN).  Any
ideas on using Systen Monitor for packet size, frequency, or
error count in PPP?

Regards,
--

2. UPDATE THE DRIVER/COULDN'T FIND USB PORT

3. comm* INVITATION 'Multimedia Minded'

4. Debug messages (again;)

5. Mind reader?

6. Epson C80 Monitor

7. Win95: Dos Comm program (GSZ)Reboot's Win95

8. XP equivalent to Scanreg

9. I am searching a DOC-Reader (Psion or Palm-Files)

10. MIDI port using serial comm port in WinCE

11. GPS not finding Serial Port Comm 1, The solution for my problems

12. Problems with serial comm ports

13. About Serial Comm event