WebSite VB$ win-cgi help needed desparately

WebSite VB$ win-cgi help needed desparately

Post by Korey S » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
My server is windows NT with Website, and I need to know how I can run
a CGI app as soon as anyone logs into my server, I think maybe
Index.exe might work, but more important, I need the program to mail
me, and I don't know how to mail from VB-cgi app? any help is
appreciated

Korey

WebSite VB$ win-cgi help needed desparately

Post by Howard A. Cohod » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

How to...
Know when user "logs on" - see page 378 of manual for Version 1.1.

Send Mail Message - try SMTP controls.  Free ones available from
Microsoft.

Or ... Hire an experienced consultant  (shameless plug).

Howard

>Hi,
>My server is windows NT with Website, and I need to know how I can run
>a CGI app as soon as anyone logs into my server, I think maybe
>Index.exe might work, but more important, I need the program to mail
>me, and I don't know how to mail from VB-cgi app? any help is
>appreciated

>Korey

Design Knowledge Technologies Inc.
330-499-0670 (Voice)
330-494-9655 (FAX)

www.dkt.com (URL)

Post by BMW Belgiu » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> My server is windows NT with Website, and I need to know how I can run
> a CGI app as soon as anyone logs into my server, I think maybe
> Index.exe might work, but more important, I need the program to mail
> me, and I don't know how to mail from VB-cgi app? any help is
> appreciated

> Korey

I've written a CGI program to process a mail form using the MAPI controls of
Visual Basic (Enterprise Edition). It works fine, and is quite easy to program.
The whole thing took about 2 to 3 hours to develop.

There are samples available that demonstrate the use of MAPI in the VB product.

If you E-mail me, I'll send you the source files.

Stephane Bouillon

WebSite VB$ win-cgi help needed desparately

Post by Timo Autioka » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>My server is windows NT with Website, and I need to know how I can run
>a CGI app as soon as anyone logs into my server,

One way is to use redirections. If you make the following
redirections:

        Redirect what:                  Redirect to:
                /                               /win-cgi/your.exe
                /index.htm                      /win-cgi/your.exe

Then your.exe will run no matter how your index.htm is accessed.

Quote:>more important, I need the program to mail me, and I don't know how to
>mail from VB-cgi app? any help is appreciated

I would also like to know this. It is difficult I believe.  The below
two links focus on "writing an SMTP client" BUT they both use a 3'rd
party vbx to do that.

    http://theway.com/web/vb/smtp_3.htm
    http://www.apexsc.com/vb/clbv-digest/i9504/art-10.html

And below are two links for vbx vendors:

   http://www.catalyst.com/
   http://www.devlink.com/devsoft/

vbx's are quite expensive they require some learning too. I would
simply like to do a:

success=email (address, subject, message)

Timo Autiokari
---
http://www.clinet.fi/~timothy/

Post by cwat.. » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>My server is windows NT with Website
[snip]
>, but more important, I need the program to mail
>me, and I don't know how to mail from VB-cgi app?

My approach to having a VB-cgi program generate an e-mail message would be to
have the program generate a text file of the message, and then use a program
called WRmail32.exe that comes with my SMTP server that inserts a specified
text file into it's mail queue.  This approach is very specific to my setup.
[The SMTP server I am using is distributed by Seattle Lab Inc., which has
sextupled the price since I got my copy.  However, their web site
(http://www.seattlelab.com) also mentions a free server available from them.]

Certainly another option would be to have individuals accessing your web site
fill out a form, and use the mailto: features to send a message to your e-mail
address.  This would not generate a message from everyone that accessed your
site, but only from those who chose to submit the information.  However, this
approach doesn't require any special programming, and can be accomplished
using standard html.

Cwatson

1. Complex WebSite/Win CGI/VB/MS Access Query Help Needed

Hi everyone,

I'm the publisher of the Precious in HIS Sight - Internet Adoption Photolisting
 at http://www.gems.com/adoption/. I need help creating a search engine for
the children so that it's easier for potential adoptive parents to find children
they're interested in adopting. A new Internet provider in town has offered to
host the site and use the Webserver WebSite that runs on Windows NT and
uses a Windows CGI/Visual Basic interface so that I can use Microsoft
Access as a search engine.

However, I've never written a CGI script and am having trouble learning how
to using documentation on the Internet. I'm doing pretty good learning VB.
I need someone who has experience with Win CGI/VB/MS Access search
engines to give me a little help in learning it. It would especially be helpful
if I could find someone who's done this using WebSite and MS Access
already. If you'd like to take a look at the form I've created to generate the
database queries, its at http://www.gems.com/adoption/search1.html. I'd
also like advice on how to structure my MS Access database to allow for
searching of sibling groups because each child would have different values.

Annette Thompson
Precious in HIS Sight - Internet Adoption Photolisting
http://www.gems.com/adoption/

2. mouse problem

3. need code to parse <option> multiple from CGI-Win under VB using WEBSITE

4. New browser!

5. !Heeeelp! VB 5.0 breaks win-cgi on WebSite!

6. Graphics rasterized in IE5, 256 colours

7. Heeelp! VB 5.0 breaks win-cgi om WebSite!

8. Removing files

9. VB/Website-WIN-CGI updating Access

10. CGI-WIN using Website,Access,VB

11. help needed desparately in WIN-ME