xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by George D. Hadd » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

i've got some windows ce software to GIVE away!  (this may look
familiar - i offered this in december and then discovered the gc bug
described below.  i didn't get a lot of response anyway :-}.)

here's the deal:

1) xlisp version 2.1g.  i used the xlisp 1.6 ported by mark oskin as a
starting point.  version 2.1g is quite a bit more like common lisp.
it includes, for instance, the lambda list extensions (e.g.
&optional, &rest), macros, backquote, format, separate namespaces for
functions and symbol values, etc.

the first handheld program i wrote was an astronomy program (see
below).  this turned out to be a lot more convenient to use if lisp
had some idea of what the time and date were.  so i added these
functions plus a couple of others to the xlisp code.  here they are:

(time)       returns the time as a fixnum:  hhmmss
(date)       returns the date as a fixnum:  yyyymmdd
(seed <n>)   seed the random number generator with a fixnum <n>,
             returns <n>
(sleep <n>)  sleeps for <n> (a fixnum) milliseconds, returns nil

the rest is as documented by david betz, tom almy, and luke tierney.

i also extended the printf that mark wrote to handle more (not all
yet) settings for the *float-format* and *integer-format* variables.

technical note: i had a real tough time getting a particular bug out
of this program.  the xlsave and the xlsave1 macros are supposed to
protect things from the garbage collector.  however, the visual c++
compiler in release mode decided to optimize away the part where the
protected value gets set to NIL.  this causes horrible and sporadic
garbage collector bugs.  since i have 95, not nt, i'm stuck with
"printf debugging" (the remote debugging only works on nt).  wah wah
wah :-).  turning off optimizations fixed the problem.

2) the astronomy program is an xlisp implementation of most of peter
duffett-smith's book, "practical astronomy with your calculator, 3e",
including the matrix manipulation.  sun, moon, and planet positions
can be calculated.  it's a work in progress -- i haven't added setting
and rising calculations yet -- have fun!

3) i also have an xlisp science fiction story writing program that
originally implemented a gahan wilson story and was subsequently
modified by me, tim finin, and evelyn orr.

other xlisp compatible programs and documentation are available from
the xlisp web site:

http://www.teleport.com/~almy/xlisp.html

if i get much of a response to this, i'll look into posting the code
on a windows ce friendly web site.

-geo
---
George D. Hadden, PhD, Senior Research Fellow
Honeywell Technology Center, 3660 Technology Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55418

xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by Aleksandar Baki » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> i've got some windows ce software to GIVE away!  (this may look
> familiar - i offered this in december and then discovered the gc bug
> described below.  i didn't get a lot of response anyway :-}.)

> here's the deal:

[...]

Great! But where can I find Xlisp executable for Velo 1?..

Thanks,
Aleksandar

xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by Jim Cricke » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

This is excellent stuff! I would love to see the source.

Thanks,
Jim

Post by Tony Schrein » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>if i get much of a response to this, i'll look into posting the code
>on a windows ce friendly web site.

Of course we're interested!  Put it up somewhere...

xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by Samuel Eickelber » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes, definitely! I'd really like to do some "serious" functional
programming using Common Lisp, so this would be a great step towards that.
--

Samuel

Computer Science Dept. / Fachbereich Informatik
Technical University / Technische Universit?t Berlin

--->  Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.  <---

xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by peter ols » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I would be very interested in Xlisp for my Velo.  Right now, I
use it mainly as an alarm clock, with my day-to-day scheduling
on my PalmPilot.  Being able to write my own programs for it
would make it much more useful.

Peter Olsen

    Engineering is the art of applying a professional knowledge of
 mathematics and the physical sciences to improve the quality of life.

xlisp 21g for windows ce

Post by Phil Stratto » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Sounds great!  I've been trying to get XLisp-CE since I got my CE Box and
started my AI class.  How can I get it?

1. ann: xlisp 21g for windows ce now available

this is now available on tom almy's site:

http://www.teleport.com/~almy/xlisp.html

comments are welcome (probably to me, not to tom :)!

-geo
[...]

2. Remove MS Office

3. CE Dao : Windows CE Database Access for Windows CE

4. getting yellow ! in device manager

5. "Windows CE 2000" refers to which Windows CE version ?

6. how to use <save as>

7. Windows CE or not Windows CE?

8. User name / Password question

9. Windows CE 2.11 ->Windows CE 3.0

10. Using Windows CE PDA in a home wireless network and Windows Messenger for CE

11. Windows CE IRC chat, Thurdsay, May 7, 11PM PDT (GMT - 7) on Microsoft Windows CE Forum

12. Windows CE 2.0 vs Windows CE 1.0

13. IS the ce application built by PB2.12 compatible with windows ce 2.11 ?