Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Tiny Ti » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:28:47

I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought new
with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98 or
98SE? Constraints might be...

Need to connect USB ADSL modem
Need to connect Canon USB camera
Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future with
router, not ICS.

Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
general performance (speed) and stability.

Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

Thanks for your views.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Jordan Freelan » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:10:26

ME is known to have many problems.  I think 98SE would be a better choice,
it works fine for me.

Quote:> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought
new
> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98
or
> 98SE? Constraints might be...

> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
with
> router, not ICS.

> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
> general performance (speed) and stability.

> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> Thanks for your views.

> --
> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Lil' Dav » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:17:13

If its working with ME, leave it.  ME has more built-in support for stuff.
Dave

Quote:> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought
new
> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98
or
> 98SE? Constraints might be...

> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
with
> router, not ICS.

> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
> general performance (speed) and stability.

> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> Thanks for your views.

> --
> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Shep » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:19:04

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:28:47 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Tiny Tim"

Quote:>I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought new
>with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
>for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
>it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98 or
>98SE? Constraints might be...

>Need to connect USB ADSL modem
>Need to connect Canon USB camera
>Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

>Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future with
>router, not ICS.

>Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
>general performance (speed) and stability.

>Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

>Thanks for your views.

Just clean up the system,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
and tweak it a bit,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/easy.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Papa » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:27:23

For up-to-date USB functionality, you'll need SE. Good luck in finding a
copy, Microsoft no longer markets them. You might try eBay. Avoid OEM
versions.

Quote:> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought
new
> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98
or
> 98SE? Constraints might be...

> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
with
> router, not ICS.

> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
> general performance (speed) and stability.

> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> Thanks for your views.

> --
> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Shep » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:33:41

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:27:23 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

:

Quote:>For up-to-date USB functionality, you'll need SE. Good luck in finding a
>copy, Microsoft no longer markets them. You might try eBay. Avoid OEM
>versions.

Why?OEM means nothing.I use them all the time.If you mean proprietary
image disks then yes I agree but OEM windows versions are just full
versions.

>> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought
>new
>> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
>> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
>> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98
>or
>> 98SE? Constraints might be...

>> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
>> Need to connect Canon USB camera
>> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

>> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
>with
>> router, not ICS.

>> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
>> general performance (speed) and stability.

>> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

>> Thanks for your views.

>> --
>> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Free songs download,

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Papa » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:33:22

For one thing, you cannot do an upgrade with an OEM version. There are other
disadvantages as well. Best to avoid them.

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:27:23 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

> :

> >For up-to-date USB functionality, you'll need SE. Good luck in finding a
> >copy, Microsoft no longer markets them. You might try eBay. Avoid OEM
> >versions.

> Why?OEM means nothing.I use them all the time.If you mean proprietary
> image disks then yes I agree but OEM windows versions are just full
> versions.

> >> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was
bought
> >new
> >> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running
that
> >> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I
think
> >> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain
98
> >or
> >> 98SE? Constraints might be...

> >> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> >> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> >> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> >> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
> >with
> >> router, not ICS.

> >> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
> >> general performance (speed) and stability.

> >> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> >> Thanks for your views.

> >> --
> >> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Shep » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:54:33

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:33:22 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

:

Quote:>For one thing, you cannot do an upgrade with an OEM version. There are other
>disadvantages as well. Best to avoid them.

Oops.Do them all the time :)
Suspect your knowledge base is lacking and that you research,"Usenet"
a bit more coz you really haven't got a clue ;-)
PS
I  mean ,"You"really don't have a clue<grin> :D

>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:27:23 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

>> :

>> >For up-to-date USB functionality, you'll need SE. Good luck in finding a
>> >copy, Microsoft no longer markets them. You might try eBay. Avoid OEM
>> >versions.

>> Why?OEM means nothing.I use them all the time.If you mean proprietary
>> image disks then yes I agree but OEM windows versions are just full
>> versions.

>bought
>> >new
>that
>think
>98
>> >or

>> >with

>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
>> Free songs download,
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Free songs download,

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Tiny Ti » Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:07:53

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the excessive x-posting but I was
trying to grab answers quickly as I wanted to get started right away. I have
tried a build with plain 98 and applied all MS updates and latest drivers
etc.. The thing is a bit flaky and has hung several times and blue screened
on boot up with (I think) video problems even though I got the latest
drivers from the Dell site. I'm just really glad I've got DSL.

Ho hum. If it doesn't behave better over the next few days I'm going back to
Me, which has been remarkably solid for a couple of years on this lappy.

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Hmmm.....   I always seem to be able to use them for upgrades. Did you try?

Post by here_and_ther » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:15:42

>For one thing, you cannot do an upgrade with an OEM version. There are other
>disadvantages as well. Best to avoid them.

Not true.  I've upgraded on top of OEM version more than once

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Al Adria » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:26:10

I have a P300 IBM  I series laptop.  It came with 98.. I upgraded to ME for
the ICS functionality a couple of years ago.. it became slow and
unreliable..  I put my 98 image back on. (it's been a great machine since)

I recently bought a Wifi g card sold by sitecom,  it said on the box that it
worked with 98... found out shortly after that everywhere else only refers
to SE or better... Anyways, it didn't work with 98, so I did an SE upgrade
with a networking OEM version that I had around.. It's working great for the
past couple of weeks.

Al...

Quote:> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was bought
new
> with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has been running that
> for a while without problems. However, performance seems tardy and I think
> it will help to return to Win 98. The thing is? Should I go for plain 98
or
> 98SE? Constraints might be...

> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the future
with
> router, not ICS.

> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns are
> general performance (speed) and stability.

> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> Thanks for your views.

> --
> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Tiny Ti » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:38:00

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to close the thread now as I'm sorted. I
built the thing with 98 and it was quite unstable - lots of lockups before
I'd even finished installing all the apps. So I scratched it and started
again with Me. It is working perfectly so far. I'd prefer a slightly slower
machine that is stable than a slightly faster one that crashes all the time
;-)

> I have a P300 IBM  I series laptop.  It came with 98.. I upgraded to
> ME for the ICS functionality a couple of years ago.. it became slow
> and unreliable..  I put my 98 image back on. (it's been a great
> machine since)

> I recently bought a Wifi g card sold by sitecom,  it said on the box
> that it worked with 98... found out shortly after that everywhere
> else only refers to SE or better... Anyways, it didn't work with 98,
> so I did an SE upgrade with a networking OEM version that I had
> around.. It's working great for the past couple of weeks.

> Al...

>> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was
>> bought new with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has
>> been running that for a while without problems. However, performance
>> seems tardy and I think it will help to return to Win 98. The thing
>> is? Should I go for plain 98 or 98SE? Constraints might be...

>> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
>> Need to connect Canon USB camera
>> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

>> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the
>> future with router, not ICS.

>> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns
>> are general performance (speed) and stability.

>> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

>> Thanks for your views.

>> --
>> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Bill Jame » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:56:18

I ran into an issue using a D-Link wireless USB adapter on a Win98 machine I own.  I never could get it stable and ended up formatting and installing Windows 2000 because I had an unused license for it.  New technology, old OS, sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle.  I don't suppose the manufacture is going to put as much effort into Win98 with all the possible system variations.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Win9x VBScript Utilities ? www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips ? www.billsway.com/notes_public/

> Thanks for the reply. I'd like to close the thread now as I'm sorted. I
> built the thing with 98 and it was quite unstable - lots of lockups before
> I'd even finished installing all the apps. So I scratched it and started
> again with Me. It is working perfectly so far. I'd prefer a slightly slower
> machine that is stable than a slightly faster one that crashes all the time
> ;-)

> > I have a P300 IBM  I series laptop.  It came with 98.. I upgraded to
> > ME for the ICS functionality a couple of years ago.. it became slow
> > and unreliable..  I put my 98 image back on. (it's been a great
> > machine since)

> > I recently bought a Wifi g card sold by sitecom,  it said on the box
> > that it worked with 98... found out shortly after that everywhere
> > else only refers to SE or better... Anyways, it didn't work with 98,
> > so I did an SE upgrade with a networking OEM version that I had
> > around.. It's working great for the past couple of weeks.

> > Al...

> >> I have a PII 300 laptop with 192MB RAM and 4GB Hard drive. It was
> >> bought new with Win 98 supplied but was upgraded to Win Me and has
> >> been running that for a while without problems. However, performance
> >> seems tardy and I think it will help to return to Win 98. The thing
> >> is? Should I go for plain 98 or 98SE? Constraints might be...

> >> Need to connect USB ADSL modem
> >> Need to connect Canon USB camera
> >> Need to connect Iomega USB CD-RW

> >> Will want to connect to wireless network with PCMCIA card in the
> >> future with router, not ICS.

> >> Apart from making sure the above will all work, the other concerns
> >> are general performance (speed) and stability.

> >> Given the above requirements, would you go for plain 98 or 98SE?

> >> Thanks for your views.

> >> --
> >> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

> --
> Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Laptop - 98 or 98SE?

Post by Mike Mathen » Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:58:00

Rename win.com and krnl386.exe to something else, boot off of a EBD, and
install it into the same windows folder the older one was installed into -
upgrades fine!

--

Mike Matheny

> For one thing, you cannot do an upgrade with an OEM version. There are
other
> disadvantages as well. Best to avoid them.

> > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:27:23 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

> > :

> > >For up-to-date USB functionality, you'll need SE. Good luck in finding
> > >copy, Microsoft no longer markets them. You might try eBay. Avoid OEM
> > >versions.

> > Why?OEM means nothing.I use them all the time.If you mean proprietary
> > image disks then yes I agree but OEM windows versions are just full
> > versions.

> bought
> > >new
> that
> think
> 98
> > >or

> > >with

> > --
> > Free Windows/PC help,
> > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> > It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> > Free songs download,
> > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

1. Sound quieter than on 98 and 98se

I am using the same soundcard as I have had on the OSs
mentioned in the subject line and am having difficulty
getting the sound to get much louder. I also have found
that the soundcard is sharing itself amongst programs that
typically don't; such as winamp, and different games and
the such. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in
advance.

Ryan

2. Defrag

3. new Media Player compatible with Win 98 vs. 98SE

4. the program Kazaalite and trying to delete it complete:

5. Win XP - Win 3.1,Win 95,W 98,W 98se,ME,W2K.

6. Windows XP SP2

7. win 95 98 98se to win xp home - pro networking solution

8. A drive grinding

9. HOW TO NETWORK 95,98, 98se, me or 2k to WINXP like this

10. Win XP - Win 3.1,Win 95,W 98,W 98se,ME,W2K

11. Problem when installing Windows 98, 98se, ME and/or XP

12. win 95 98 98se to win xp ( home - pro) networking solution

13. XP in home network with 98 and 98SE problems