installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by wend » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:07:00

what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
for
installing ram inside my pc.

i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
and am i really ok to just use my hands.

i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
it for me.

yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
pc...............

wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Tom Porterfiel » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:18:01

Quote:> what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> for
> installing ram inside my pc.

> i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> it for me.

> yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> pc...............

> wendy

RAM is not difficult to install.  I would recommend that you unplug the PC
and then get a grounding strap that will dispel any static electricity.  You
can pick one of these up at a PC supply store.  Basically it goes around
your wrist and remains connected to a metal part of the case.

However, if you still feel uncomfortable about this, then go with your gut
feeling and get somebody with experience to help you out.

--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP (DTS)

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.  I do this on my time, and
there isn't enough of that to provide personal e-mail support.

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by John Steven » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:21:32

What you've already mentioned is correct and should be sufficient; if you
are still paranoid about it you can go all out and buy an ESD strap which
will drain away any static on you, but touching the grounded case should be
enough. To be honest I've been installing RAM for years and I've never
bothered with any of that stuff; never had any casualties. Still it's a good
idea to be careful, especially in dry conditions and on carpet. A wooden
floor or some type of insulating mat would be the best surface to work on if
you want to be safe. As long as you handle it properly (touch the case to
drain any static before handling it) you should be fine.

Quote:> what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> for
> installing ram inside my pc.

> i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> it for me.

> yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> pc...............

> wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Gary R. Hega » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:41:57

Unplug the Computer first then open the case and then touch the case to
discharge any static electricity if any then on each end of the sockets push
the little clips that hold the ram outward. Then look the the bottom of the
Module and you will see that it will only go in one way and then check the
socket and push it straight down in until it snaps in and the two clips will
lock it in. That's it.

--
Regards
Gary R. Hegan

Quote:> what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> for
> installing ram inside my pc.

> i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> it for me.

> yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> pc...............

> wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Rob » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:04:23

What you said is correct.  You don't really need any special mats etc.
Leaving the plug in the wall socket (with the switch turned _off_ of course)
will mean that you are draining your static to earth potential.  Unplugging
the computer will just equalise your static to the same potential as the
computer, which is technically not as good but still O.K for this purpose.
As long as you make contact with the bare case while touching the RAM you'll
be fine.
Rob

Post by Zinemania » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:44:11

Quote:>what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
>for
>installing ram inside my pc.

>i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
>it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
>to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
>screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
>and am i really ok to just use my hands.

>i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
>i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
>it for me.

>yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
>pc...............

>wendy

If you got a new motherboard don't leave the power plugged in. I've
did that on a pals computer and the power was on the memory sockets.
I almost got in debt. ;-)
You will have to ground in another way.

<<< ZineManiac >>>

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by John » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:09:09

I wouldn't leave the machine plugged in.  I always unplug from
the wall if I have to change any hardware (but I do stick
knives in a toaster, go figure ;-).  Other than the usual
static control measures I would offer that you push the RAM
card evenly in when you insert it, that is don't push it only
at the ends,  use all your fingers and push it along all the
top of the card other wise it could snap in half.  I know you
can do this it's an easy task to do.

John

> what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> for
> installing ram inside my pc.

> i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> it for me.

> yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> pc...............

> wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 05:34:20

But if you unplug the machine it is no longer grounded and you lose the
benefit of touching the chassis before handling/installing the components.
Turn off the power switch by all means but DO leave it plugged in.

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.

> I wouldn't leave the machine plugged in.  I always unplug from
> the wall if I have to change any hardware (but I do stick
> knives in a toaster, go figure ;-).  Other than the usual
> static control measures I would offer that you push the RAM
> card evenly in when you insert it, that is don't push it only
> at the ends,  use all your fingers and push it along all the
> top of the card other wise it could snap in half.  I know you
> can do this it's an easy task to do.

> John

> > what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> > for
> > installing ram inside my pc.

> > i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> > it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> > to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> > screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> > and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> > i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> > i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> > it for me.

> > yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> > pc...............

> > wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Smil » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 06:24:41

Wendy - just do it. (and let us know what happens :-) )

Quote:> what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> for
> installing ram inside my pc.

> i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> it for me.

> yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> pc...............

> wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Rob » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:36:20

Assuming there is no potential on the supply cable (eg. the wall switch is
not faulty or the phase and neutral are not transposed), if you still had
'power' it was because of a charge remaining from the likes of a capacitor,
_not_ because it was plugged in.
Rob

> If you got a new motherboard don't leave the power plugged in. I've
> did that on a pals computer and the power was on the memory sockets.
> I almost got in debt. ;-)
> You will have to ground in another way.

> <<< ZineManiac >>>

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Rob » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:46:51

You actually don't _have_ to leave the computer plugged in to do this.
Being in contact with the computer chassis will equalise your potential with
the computer (which is O.K), it will just mean that your potential and the
computer's potential, will be higher than earth.
Rob

> But if you unplug the machine it is no longer grounded and you lose the
> benefit of touching the chassis before handling/installing the components.
> Turn off the power switch by all means but DO leave it plugged in.

> --

> * NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> * questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> * Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> > I wouldn't leave the machine plugged in.  I always unplug from
> > the wall if I have to change any hardware (but I do stick
> > knives in a toaster, go figure ;-).  Other than the usual
> > static control measures I would offer that you push the RAM
> > card evenly in when you insert it, that is don't push it only
> > at the ends,  use all your fingers and push it along all the
> > top of the card other wise it could snap in half.  I know you
> > can do this it's an easy task to do.

> > John

> > > what precautions can i take to make my environment safe
> > > for
> > > installing ram inside my pc.

> > > i know to keep the tower plugged in and power of to keep
> > > it grounded and to touch the unpainted part of the tower
> > > to discharge the static, also to use a nonmagnetic
> > > screwdriver to remove cover but what surface would be best
> > > and am i really ok to just use my hands.

> > > i am capable of installing the ram just never done it and
> > > i am thinking i would be better geting someone to install
> > > it for me.

> > > yours slightly conserned she might distroy her
> > > pc...............

> > > wendy

installing ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Post by Hawkey » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:53:14

Having a static discharge between you and the computer case is not the risk
here though; it's having a static discharge between you and the memory
module. You always want to be at the same potential as the earth to prevent
this from occuring; therefore you should leave the computer power cable
plugged in. You don't have to worry about accidentally turning on the
computer as long as the power switch is turned off on your surge protector
and/or the power supply. The case will still be grounded.

> You actually don't _have_ to leave the computer plugged in to do this.
> Being in contact with the computer chassis will equalise your potential
with
> the computer (which is O.K), it will just mean that your potential and the
> computer's potential, will be higher than earth.
> Rob

> > But if you unplug the machine it is no longer grounded and you lose the
> > benefit of touching the chassis before handling/installing the
components.
> > Turn off the power switch by all means but DO leave it plugged in.

> > --

> > * NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> > * questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> > * Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> > > I wouldn't leave the machine plugged in.  I always unplug from
> > > the wall if I have to change any hardware (but I do stick
> > > knives in a toaster, go figure ;-).  Other than the usual
> > > static control measures I would offer that you push the RAM
> > > card evenly in when you insert it, that is don't push it only
> > > at the ends,  use all your fingers and push it along all the
> > > top of the card other wise it could snap in half.  I know you
> > > can do this it's an easy task to do.

> > > John

Post by Shane Beatso » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:05:00

Leave the tower plugged in and put a post-it or the like on to remind you to
make sure, before you do anything else, that the power is off. And use a
wrist strap because if you're nervous about doing the job it's easy to
forget - for a moment - to ground yourself.