Copy Entire HD to new HD

Post by Robert M. Hun » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I would like to copy everything from my old HD to my new HD, is there anyway
to do this and still have Win 95 and all my apps work properly?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Copy Entire HD to new HD

Post by Franc Zabk » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 01:53:04 -0400, "Robert M. Hunt"

Quote:>I would like to copy everything from my old HD to my new HD, is there anyway
>to do this and still have Win 95 and all my apps work properly?  Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.

From the DOS prompt, type:

XCOPY32 drive1 drive2 /E /H /R /K /Y /C

For an explanation of the command options type:

XCOPY32 /?

I recently duplicated a Win95 partition this way. However, for some
reason I had to re-SYS drive2 before it would boot, ie:

SYS drive2

To verify your procedure, you could perform a 'DIR /S' on both drives
and compare the numbers of files and directories on each.

I suppose you could also use the command 'VERIFY ON' prior to
XCOPYing.

One qualification. If you have copy protected software, this software
may not work. Some rely on seeing a particular serial number in the
boot sector. This number is unique to each boot sector (but
fortunately is easily hacked ;-) ). Other software hides data in the
slack space of hidden files. MS-DOS does not copy this slack space,
but DR DOS 6.0 does.

- Franc Zabkar