Java app to print from Netscape

Post by J.C. Hassa » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I need an app which will allow me to display tabular info in Netscape,
or give the viewer the option to print directly to the printer
(instead of viewing, then hitting the print button).  The app needs to
be able to issue form-feeds to paginate correctly, which is the
problem with printing from Netscape.

able to get back here for awhile.  TIA.

J.C. Hassall

Blacksburg  VA

1. Java app calling Java app through command.com loses env vars

I'm starting to use a product that has one step of its installation/setup that
is a cmd script that calls a Java application that ends up using command.com to
call another Java application.  The last Java application needs to references
environment variables set in the cmd script.

In Windows 2000, this process works fine.  The last Java application sees the
environment variables fine.  In Windows XP, however, the last Java application
seems to have no environment variables (I've only tried several, but I haven't
checked to see if there are any at all).

I wish they had written this process better (as the second Java application has
a relatively easy-to-use API that they could have just called directly from the
first Java application), but they didn't.  I don't expect them to re-architect
this any time soon.

The question I have is, is there something that changed between Win2k and WinXP
in the area of calling other applications through command.com, such that a
downstream called application wouldn't be able to get any environment
variables?

Is there something they're supposed to use instead of "command.com" for this
sort of thing?  I know there's "cmd" and "command", and "cmd" appears to be
much more functional, but I don't know a lot about the differences between
them.

David M. Karr          ; Java/J2EE/XML/Unix/C++

2. Console Appilication using microphones and speakers

3. Java Apps crash Netscape

4. Visual Basic 6.0

5. Netscape 2.0 and Java apps

6. Screen snapshots for Win 9x in VC++6.0

7. (how) can I print java output from Netscape?

8. WebSite html-ssi problem

9. Netscape 2.0 & Java at java.sun.com

10. Netscape 4.08- Java vs. Java Script

11. NETSCAPE JAVA MESSAGING SDK 3.51 & NETSCAPE C MESSAGING SDK 3.51

12. disappearing print jobs when printing pdf from a Java client on winXX

13. Printing DOS App. in WFW print share