ping that give results in hundredths of a ms

ping that give results in hundredths of a ms

Post by Jerry S » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I need a ping program that runs on windows NT that will
give the result time in hundredths of a millisecond or less.

I already searched the web and downloaded lots of ping
program, but they are all the same, they show the
results in multiples of 10ms only.  There was one that says
<1ms, but that does not do me any good.   I need the
actual time in milliseconds with at least 2 decimal places.

Jerry

Post by Michael Borel » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I need a ping program that runs on windows NT that will
>give the result time in hundredths of a millisecond or less.

>I already searched the web and downloaded lots of ping
>program, but they are all the same, they show the
>results in multiples of 10ms only.  There was one that says
><1ms, but that does not do me any good.   I need the
>actual time in milliseconds with at least 2 decimal places.

>Jerry

Pentium clock resolution is 10 ms, which roughly means that you can't
transmit packets at an average speed greater than 1 per 10 ms.  Whether
or not you can even trust timings in the hundredth of ms is a question.
On the other hand, writing your own program to do the reporting
wouldn't be too difficult.

-Mike

Post by Mark A. Crampto » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >I need a ping program that runs on windows NT that will
> >give the result time in hundredths of a millisecond or less.

> >I already searched the web and downloaded lots of ping
> >program, but they are all the same, they show the
> >results in multiples of 10ms only.  There was one that says
> ><1ms, but that does not do me any good.   I need the
> >actual time in milliseconds with at least 2 decimal places.

> >Jerry

> Pentium clock resolution is 10 ms, which roughly means that you can't
> transmit packets at an average speed greater than 1 per 10 ms.  Whether
> or not you can even trust timings in the hundredth of ms is a question.
> On the other hand, writing your own program to do the reporting
> wouldn't be too difficult.

> -Mike

For once, I'll actually concur that the same applies to UNIX, so NT is
not alone.  Sounds like the same thing for NT as for UNIX; under UNIX
you can write a driver to do more accurate resolution but it's not
guaranteed.

1. Compressing AVI -> MPEG gives bad results

Hi,

I have been trying to compress some AVI files into MPEG format.  The
compression works, but when I try and play the mpg I can barely see the
image in amongst a lot of display noise.  It looks like a TV channel that
isn't tuned properly.

I get the same result using both Xing, and Mainactor, but the original AVI
plays perfectly.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Thanks

2. How do you retrieve GMT Time?

3. IE gives me random results...

4. Does a NT style driver binary work fine on WinXP ( 32 bit )

5. ChkDsk & ChkDsk_all.vbs give DIFFERENT RESULTS

6. windows critical update

7. Can someone pleae explain these ping results?

8. Create your own XP theme tutorial - here

9. XP, 98, ping results AMMENDED

10. Router, XP, 98 ping results (Steve)

11. Strange PING results

12. Weird ping result

13. Strange Ping Result from a dual-homed NT4.0