Accessing Internet through firewall

Post by Leigh Weddi » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

G'day All,

I have a problem with accessing the wider Internet through the
firewall of my university.  I am using dial-up-networking with
PPP connection which seems to work fine.  I can access any WWW
pages which are internal to the university, but not external.
I can use ping to reach any computer withing the uni's network,
but any attempts to reach anything external give the error message
that host is unreachable.  This makes sense because of the
firewall to prevent direct internet access.

However there is a proxy server which I should be able to use
to access WWW, ftp, etc. to external sites.  How can I configure
the win95 tcp/ip and/or MS Internet Explorer to use the proxy
server?  Is this possible?  Or do I need to revert to a
Netscape / Trumpet winsock setup?

Any help would be much appreciated.