Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking

Post by Wayne or Ruth Fulk » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

I've had no success getting the Win95 Winsock to work. I have done what
are to me the obvious steps, such as making sure there are no other
Winsock.dlls in my system.  The problem appears to be that the Win95
winsock appears unable to get the dynamic IP from my service provider.
Trumpet 2.0b had no difficuty with this.

I suspect that it might have something to do with how TCP/IP is bound to
the Dial-Up Adaptor. I notice that in the file Internet.doc, (which I got
from MSN) that it should say something like TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adaptor.
Mine doesn't.  It just says TCP/IP.

Does this make any sense.

Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking

Post by Henk Siebesm » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've had no success getting the Win95 Winsock to work. I have done what
> are to me the obvious steps, such as making sure there are no other
> Winsock.dlls in my system.  The problem appears to be that the Win95
> winsock appears unable to get the dynamic IP from my service provider.
> Trumpet 2.0b had no difficuty with this.

> I suspect that it might have something to do with how TCP/IP is bound to
> the Dial-Up Adaptor. I notice that in the file Internet.doc, (which I got
> from MSN) that it should say something like TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adaptor.
> Mine doesn't.  It just says TCP/IP.

> Does this make any sense.

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't have a solution, even worse, I have exactly the SAME
PROBLEM. EVERYTHING goes well, I even get an incoming IP adress when I'm connected
with my internet provider, but after that...nothing happens. When I start netscape
version 1.1N (32bit) I only get the message back This is not a DNS server.
Beats me WHAT the problem is :-((((((

Anyone got suggestions???

Post by Rick Ahlqui » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,
>Unfortunately I don't have a solution, even worse, I have exactly the SAME
>PROBLEM. EVERYTHING goes well, I even get an incoming IP adress when I'm connected
>with my internet provider, but after that...nothing happens. When I start netscape
>version 1.1N (32bit) I only get the message back This is not a DNS server.
>Beats me WHAT the problem is :-((((((
>Anyone got suggestions???

>I've followed the steps here and also tried to listen to the advice of Tech
>2.  I'm still messed up.  I've gotten everything installed but I can't seem
>to get connected.

I had similar problems here is a good chcklist to follow for PPP
accounts.

First make sure under dialup networking properties that you have the
dialup server set for "PPP :Windows95 WindowsNT,internet"

Under the advanced options have only log on network checked.

Under allowed network protocols have only TCP/IP checked.

In the network setup in controll panel you should have the following
network components installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP

For the properties in the Dial-Up Adapter
 TAB:Bindings you should have only TCP/IP checked.
TAB:"Advanced" Disable "IP header compression"

For the properties in the TCP/IP driver
TAB:Bindings: Have Client for Microsoft networks checked
TAB:Gateway: Blank unless your Internet provider tells you different
TAB:WINS: Disabled unless you provider tells you different
TAB:IP Address: This must be set to what your Internet provider tells
you, if they gave you a permanent IP address put it here.
TAB:DNS Configuartion: Enable DNS must be checked!!! The host is the
name you entered for your computer when you named it during setup. The

you need a DNS address which your provider should provide for you.

That is about it.
If this doesn't wokr let me know and I'll try to help you out a little
more if I can..
Rick Ahlquist

Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking

Post by Wayne or Ruth Fulk » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

I did all this as well.  What eventually solved my problems was
to go into Control Panel and tweak the modem initialization
string for Win95.  I just added in what the modem manual
suggested.  I guess Setup didn't do it properly.  or something.
 I can't pretend that I actually understand this.