Cannot get IP address from DHCP server

Post by Oliver Hernande » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:58:53

All,

   I am posting this to briefly share my experience with others who may
have or will run into the same problem.
   I could not get any NIC cards to work in my PC.  I have a DHCP server
on my network, and could not get the PC I was setting up a valid IP
address assigned to it.  It essentially could not connect to my
network.  I kept getting the default IP address Windows assigns to a
machine that is suppose to get one dynamically, but cannot connect to
the DHCP server.  I believe that default IP is something like
169.254.*.*.  So I initially thought I had a bad NIC card, and bought
another one by Linksys.  To my surprise, that one did not work either!
It gave me the exact same symptoms as the other one I was trying to
install.  For each one I was certain I was using the latest drivers and
installing them correctly.
   Lo and behold, in the back of the user manual for the Linksys card
was a note about PCI cards installed in systems with an AMD processor.
It said that PCI IRQ steering must be disabled on a Windows95/98 system
running on an AMD processor.  This PC was running an AMD K6-3.
Apparently, with AMD chips, the IRQs assigned by Windows do not match
the IRQs assigned by the hardware BIOS.  Though Windows device manager
kept indicating no conflicts, one did exist!  This machine had a PCI
sound card in addition to the NIC card.  So after turning off PCI IRQ
steering in Windows device manager, the NIC card worked!
   During the time I was having this problem, I couldn't find any usenet
article that could help me, and hopefully this one will be out there to
help others.

-Oliver Hernandez

Cannot get IP address from DHCP server

Post by Kent W. Englan » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:12:20

Quote:>    During the time I was having this problem, I couldn't find any usenet
> article that could help me, and hopefully this one will be out there to
> help others.

Great article and good diagnostic work. I hope you stick around and keep
an eye open for folks reporting similar problems. I'm sure you can save
them a lot of grief and some expense.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows networking